Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum - View Single Post - Brand new Summit 600 ETEC died first weekend
View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2016, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Beaxch
Lifetime Premium

The PTO coil was sitting on some kind of metal clip that worked its way right through the soft bottom of the coil until it shorted. So they replaced the coil and reassembled it to avoid that. Got the sled back Friday (didn't have to pay anything for the work), and although we had terrible weather this weekend we put on about 40 soaking wet miles. It was a lot more fun than it should have been and we splashed around on some seriously heavy untracked snow and got stuck a couple of times.

So I love the sled over all. My big complaint is the recoil starter sucks, and if you get an E-start model then you don't get a recoil starter. You have to choose one or the other, which seems ridiculous. I can't rely on a battery, that's just not ok for me. The only way to get both is buy the recoil model and add the e-start kit. That also sucks. It costs about $700 to add E-start to the recoil model, which is getting close to an additional 10% over the purchase price (I got this 2015 model for $7,677 base price). That seemed crazy, but every day I hate the recoil starter. Getting the e-start model with no recoil is $500 more than base.

I could get the e-start kit for $500 but dealer install is $200. I am not sure if i can install it myself without voiding the warranty..and I'm not sure if I want to spend another $500 on this sled anyway.

Specifically, the recoil starter is fairly easy to pull but you have to pull it an extremely long distance to get it to start. It is about twice as far as you have to pull my old 700 and 800. So you have to stand way back, lean in, do the first half of the pull with your back and then the last half with the full reach of your arm. Maybe I'll get used to it. It does start on the first pull when you do it right, but if you are tired you might find yourself pulling several times trying to get enough juice into that last two feet of rope.

At any rate, the sad story appears to be over and I am definitely enjoying my new sled. It was time. Now I need to learn how to ride this chassis because right now the 600 is all the power I can handle...I feel like I would have already crashed if I got the 800! Very happy with the 600 and the 146" x 16" track - this is the exact sled that I need at this point in time. And then when I factor in how much sled I got for the money, this thing was a slam dunk.

Subscribe to my channel:

www.youtube.com/beaxch

Sleds -
2015 Summit SP 800 E-TEC 146"x2.5"
2015 Summit SP 600 E-TEC 146"x2.5"
2000 RMK 800 @ 151"x2.25" 19/40/9T
1992 Indy 500 Chassis, piped 700 engine, Mesh Hood, RMK Skis, 136"x1.75" 18/40/9T

History -
1990 EXT Special 530 @ 136"x2.25" finger, 18/39/8T, Camoplast skis.
1996 Vmax 600 Mountain Max, Summit Skis
1999 RMK 700 @ 151"x2" 19/41/9T

Last edited by Beaxch; 01-18-2016 at 02:27 PM.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome