Ski-doo Clutches - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

just wanted to know if i am using the right drive and driven clutch combo. please, someone that would know about this setup. some of you have seen my kart on here with this setup and if not i am going to place a pix of the setup on here. when i got the sled it did not have the driven clutch so i bought one off someone that told me that it would work. i have been having problems with the clutch slipping and fixed the drive clutch but when i was out today after a while it started to slip and when i told a friend that rides with me to follow me and see if he could see if the clutches were working right he told me that the drive clutch was not closing all the way, that it was just closing half way and that the driven clutch seemed to not be working the way it should. he said that the belt seemed to ride up and down on the sheave or pulleys or what ever you call them and that the belt was smoking off the start. while i was riding it, i tried to look at it, and to me, it seemed that the belt or driven clutch was not opening right. i do not know what could be going on here. i just thought maybe that the drive clutch and driven clutch are not compatible ( do not belong with each other )so here is a pix of the setup and if you need the part number let me know were it is on the driven clutch and i will try to get it. thank you so much. it seems that this is the only thing that is giving me problem for this thing to run 100%. user posted image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 03:46 PM
journeyman sled/motorhead

Send a message via Yahoo to dooman
using a marker put a line on the clutch face from center outward the belt should rub the mark off where it rides. slipping secondary , I would increase the preload to try and stop it.

"DREAM AS THOUGH YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS THOUGH YOU'RE GOING TO DIE TOMMORROW" JAMES DEAN
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

well,i have tried the marker deal on the driven clutch. the mark is rubbed off but not all the way down to the bottom telling me that its not going all the way down making it slip. and i did increase the tension on the driven clutch. that helped some. when i went out this weekend i noticed that when i took the kart out for the first few laps it ran 100% with very little slipping. i know i will get some slipping at take off. but then when i stopped for a while to relax and give the kart a rest. the second time around it started to slip right off the back. had my friend follow and he noticed that the drive clutch was not closing all the way. like half way. i took the clutch off and apart and seen no problem with it. then when i put it on the traile,r i jacked it up and started it, gave it gas and the clutches worked fine. drive closed and driven opened. i don't know what i can do. its driving me nuts. i'm getting tired off taking off these clutches. this is the only problem that i have with it. engine being from 1976 sound really good and feels real strong. hope some one has the cure. thanks.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 07:11 PM

so the clutches are real hot? should be from the slipping. I am assuming they are aligned the way they should be?

"DREAM AS THOUGH YOU'LL LIVE FOREVER, LIVE AS THOUGH YOU'RE GOING TO DIE TOMMORROW" JAMES DEAN
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 03:58 AM Thread Starter

yes the alinement is correct
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

let me ask a question.
if the driven clutch is binding up and not opening like its suppose to, would that make the drive clutch not close all the way? just a thought, because since i see no problem with the drive clutch, well, that i can see, then maybe it could be the driven clutch that might be the problem. HELP!!!!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:03 PM

yes or stretch the belt

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 07:41 AM

Send a message via AIM to GoNe_aWoL Send a message via Yahoo to GoNe_aWoL
My vote's for a gear reduction in your final drive. Then tune the clutches to work better with one another for your setup. This would help with the belt slippage and give you faster takeoffs. If your clutches work without a load (off the ground) then there can't be something bound in the clutches preventing them from opening.

Now Running
'89 Wildcat 650
'93 Jag Delux 440
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 10:35 AM

yes gearing is a good start.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-18-2005, 04:13 PM

gear way down.with those clutches and on a kart you should be able to smoke the tires from a start geared correctly IMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page