1977 Arctic Cat El Tigre' 340 - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-15-2005, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Im helping a friend fix up this sled he just got, 1977 arctic cat el tigre' 340 twin. I was wondering if anyone here owns one and what the top speed is for it. Where can I get a set of performance pipes for it? high performance clutch kits? Previous owner said it fouled plugs after about 4 days of riding, any ideas why? are these quick sleds? my friend had a arctic cat jag 440 and it was pretty quick so I'm wondering how the 340 holds up against that sled. thanks for any information!

EDIT: I actually think it's a 1973 as it looks exactly like this one except it doesn't have the 2 upper gauges on the dashboard.
http://www.isd.net/ecurtis/73eltigre340.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 03:13 PM

1977 El Tigre's only came in 440 and 500 cc free air engines. Assuming yours is a 73, yes, they are very fast for a 340. I had one of those and all I remember was the windshield started folding back above 85 mph. That is around the top speed though. The stock setup worked fine but pipes and larger carbs might give you a few more mph.

Tom

68 Panther P-12K
77 Panther
77 Pantera
81 Scorpion Sidewinder
97 Powder Extreme
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-16-2005, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

85 mph out of a 340? thats insanely fast, these sleds have that much top speed to them? wow

what kind of power does this 340 twin make?

we kind of worked on it today, it needs new spark plugs and the recoil doesn't retract as easily as it should, kinda gets stuck.

85mph and the windshield was folding back? maybe thats why the windshield is busted off this one LOL

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-17-2005, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeff518@May 16 2005, 11:06 PM
85 mph out of a 340? thats insanely fast, these sleds have that much top speed to them? wow

what kind of power does this 340 twin make?

we kind of worked on it today, it needs new spark plugs and the recoil doesn't retract as easily as it should, kinda gets stuck.

85mph and the windshield was folding back? maybe thats why the windshield is busted off this one LOL
[snapback]420601[/snapback]

That 85 speed would be under ideal conditions... hardpack snow covered road and 10 degrees or colder out. I think the hp is around 36. The sled goes fast because it is very light. I also had a 73 250 cc El Tigre and it would hit low 70's under ideal conditions.

Tom

68 Panther P-12K
77 Panther
77 Pantera
81 Scorpion Sidewinder
97 Powder Extreme
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page