Lighting circuit voltage on Merc TT - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-15-2012, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Zog

Question Lighting circuit voltage on Merc TT

Hi everyone. It's been a long time since I've been on here. Got away from the sport for several years. I'm back.

I recently acquired a '75 Merc Trail Twister 440, in mostly original condition, with less than 1000 miles on it. It looks like the headlights (GE-4492) may be a bit of a problem to find. The seller was kind enough to give me one when he found out the one in the sled was burnt out when he sold it to me (good guy alert).

Prior to installing it, I hooked up the multi-meter and found that the circuit was getting more than 17 volts at around 5500 rpm. That sounds high to me. However, the gauge lights and the tail/brake light seem to be surviving.

Any ideas? If it's the voltage regulator, wouldn't the other lights be fried as well?

Also, I'd like to find a couple of spare 4492 sealed beams. Anyone know of a distributor? Preferably in Canada due to international shipping costs.

Thanks!
Zog

1975 Merc Trail Twister 440
1969 Ski-Doo Olympic 12/3
1967 Ski-Doo Super Olympique
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 06:26 PM

My book says nothing about this. Most of what I have seen is caped off at around 14 volts. 17 volts sounds high for a 12 volt system. The other bulbs may be holding, the voltage may not be high enough for them to blow. Your choice but I would look at another regulator.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-16-2012, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Zog

Turns out that I'm simply a dolt. I did the voltage test without the light attached, so it was high. I attached the new bulb, and the voltage holds around 14.5 V, regardless of rpm.

1975 Merc Trail Twister 440
1969 Ski-Doo Olympic 12/3
1967 Ski-Doo Super Olympique
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page