Trails In Il? - Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-08-2003, 01:40 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to WoodyCam
What kind of trail system do we have in IL up north? Are they pretty much closed loop 30 mile trails or can you do a couple of days riding on interlinked trail systems?

My insane love of snowmobiling is the only thing that keeps me from going insane!

Don't just sit there with your teeth in your mouth, get out and ride!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 07:18 PM

if you make it up here you can hook up with wisc trails and go up north and hook up with more.

only prob=no snow

jim
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-2003, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to WoodyCam
Thanks Jimme, but where is "up here" ? Do you have a web site url for a local club which has info on the trails? hotels? etc?

thanks

My insane love of snowmobiling is the only thing that keeps me from going insane!

Don't just sit there with your teeth in your mouth, get out and ride!!

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 07:44 AM

The Desplaines River trail is getting better lately with bridges being built to cross the river in Southern Gurnee and run
further South and west I believe. They plan on connecting many trails that already exist with the desplaines trail in the future hopefully it happens. I havn't gotten a chance yet this winter to even go out on it. It gets ripped up and is bare
after one night with 4 or less inches of snow, and we've only gotten one 3-4 inch snowfall. What a joke. I need to start riding on the Chain o lakes and get a trailer.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2003, 04:52 PM

I live just outside Rockford IL and if you come up there are trails that will hook up to the Wisconsin Trail system. About an hour or so ride, by trail, will put you in some of the small Wisconsin towns north west of rockford. I cant find a good web site from our club but you can contact tri-county alliance PO Box 111 Mt. Morris Il 61504 815-865-5259.

If you have any questions just PM and I will try to help.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 02:25 PM

Joel, I visited one of my clients in Gibson City last week who is also a sledder. He told me you can sled from MORRIS IL. Apparently there is a canal (forget the name) that runs through/near the town. He said it doesn't go very far east, but heading west you could ride into Iowa if you cared to. It definitely sounds like something that we should check out for a quick Fri-Sunday trip to get our fix in temporarily. Let's get together and talk about it sometime.

NOT TAKING LIFE FOR GRANTED!! LOOK AT MY AVATAR...THOSE ARE FLAT LINES!</span>

http://banners.wunderground.com/bann...nt_Germain.gif
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2005, 03:17 PM

HERE&#39;s more info on the canal, note the OK for snowmobile use in the TRAIL ACCESS paragraph :thumbsup: Guess this is what the guy was talking about in the I&M canal thread in the same forum. That client of mine said he goes on trailconditions.com and Morris is mentioned on there, but I didn&#39;t see it.

NOT TAKING LIFE FOR GRANTED!! LOOK AT MY AVATAR...THOSE ARE FLAT LINES!</span>

http://banners.wunderground.com/bann...nt_Germain.gif
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-09-2005, 12:07 AM

I live near St. charles and have ridden into Wisconsin before, but there is usually not enough snow to support it. Everty time i&#39;ve ridden in northern Ill. I have broken some suspension part from either hitting rocks frozen under the snow, and on trail, to needing shock rebuilds from the corn fields that get crossed. I bite the bullit and drive to the UP for garranteed snow and good groomed trails, not to mention all the off trail fluff there is.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 04:48 PM

Send a message via AIM to Mr-siv
i&m canal is pretty far south, it doesn&#39;t usualy snow that much. if you&#39;re going to go through the trouble of trailering you might as well go somewhere good like the north woods or the up. i&m canal is just a big straight shot, too. not too much excitement.

- Jason

1990 BMW 325i/e30- daily driver/toy
1965 mustang - in restoration

Check out my website

Curently own:
1993 &#39;doo mach1 (670) ...................(mine)
1995 polaris supper sport (440 fan) ..(sisters)
1998 cat pantera 800 ......................(dads)
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
I live near St. charles and have ridden into Wisconsin before, but there is usually not enough snow to support it. Everty time i&#39;ve ridden in northern Ill. I have broken some suspension part from either hitting rocks frozen under the snow, and on trail, to needing shock rebuilds from the corn fields that get crossed. I bite the bullit and drive to the UP for garranteed snow and good groomed trails, not to mention all the off trail fluff there is.
[/b]
I live in North Aurora. Were do you hop on the trails around here. I have never sledded in IL at all. I am from MN. Last year I went to the UP and MN. If we get more snow here I would like to go out for the day. Can you give me some insite were I can go, unload, ect. I live right off Randall road I am thinking I could go west from my house and not have to trailer the sled.

Thanks for any help. :christmas:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page