Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum

Snowmobile World : Your #1 Snowmobile Forum (https://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/)
-   ILLINOIS, US (https://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/70-illinois-us/)
-   -   Trails In Il? (https://www.snowmobileworld.com/forums/70-illinois-us/10346-trails-il.html)

WoodyCam 01-08-2003 02:40 PM

What kind of trail system do we have in IL up north? Are they pretty much closed loop 30 mile trails or can you do a couple of days riding on interlinked trail systems?

jimme 01-09-2003 08:18 PM

if you make it up here you can hook up with wisc trails and go up north and hook up with more.

only prob=no snow

jim

WoodyCam 01-16-2003 04:50 PM

Thanks Jimme, but where is "up here" ? Do you have a web site url for a local club which has info on the trails? hotels? etc?

thanks

snojet 02-02-2003 08:44 AM

The Desplaines River trail is getting better lately with bridges being built to cross the river in Southern Gurnee and run
further South and west I believe. They plan on connecting many trails that already exist with the desplaines trail in the future hopefully it happens. I havn't gotten a chance yet this winter to even go out on it. It gets ripped up and is bare
after one night with 4 or less inches of snow, and we've only gotten one 3-4 inch snowfall. What a joke. I need to start riding on the Chain o lakes and get a trailer. :angry:

tiny 12-05-2003 05:52 PM

I live just outside Rockford IL and if you come up there are trails that will hook up to the Wisconsin Trail system. About an hour or so ride, by trail, will put you in some of the small Wisconsin towns north west of rockford. I cant find a good web site from our club but you can contact tri-county alliance PO Box 111 Mt. Morris Il 61504 815-865-5259.

If you have any questions just PM and I will try to help.

TallCool1 01-23-2005 03:25 PM

Joel, I visited one of my clients in Gibson City last week who is also a sledder. He told me you can sled from MORRIS IL. Apparently there is a canal (forget the name) that runs through/near the town. He said it doesn't go very far east, but heading west you could ride into Iowa if you cared to. It definitely sounds like something that we should check out for a quick Fri-Sunday trip to get our fix in temporarily. Let's get together and talk about it sometime.

TallCool1 01-23-2005 04:17 PM

HERE's more info on the canal, note the OK for snowmobile use in the TRAIL ACCESS paragraph :thumbsup: Guess this is what the guy was talking about in the I&M canal thread in the same forum. That client of mine said he goes on trailconditions.com and Morris is mentioned on there, but I didn't see it.

catspaz8 11-09-2005 01:07 AM

I live near St. charles and have ridden into Wisconsin before, but there is usually not enough snow to support it. Everty time i've ridden in northern Ill. I have broken some suspension part from either hitting rocks frozen under the snow, and on trail, to needing shock rebuilds from the corn fields that get crossed. I bite the bullit and drive to the UP for garranteed snow and good groomed trails, not to mention all the off trail fluff there is.

Mr-siv 12-05-2005 05:48 PM

i&m canal is pretty far south, it doesn't usualy snow that much. if you're going to go through the trouble of trailering you might as well go somewhere good like the north woods or the up. i&m canal is just a big straight shot, too. not too much excitement.

- Jason

jimmbo407 12-13-2005 01:56 PM

Quote:

I live near St. charles and have ridden into Wisconsin before, but there is usually not enough snow to support it. Everty time i've ridden in northern Ill. I have broken some suspension part from either hitting rocks frozen under the snow, and on trail, to needing shock rebuilds from the corn fields that get crossed. I bite the bullit and drive to the UP for garranteed snow and good groomed trails, not to mention all the off trail fluff there is.
[/b]
I live in North Aurora. Were do you hop on the trails around here. I have never sledded in IL at all. I am from MN. Last year I went to the UP and MN. If we get more snow here I would like to go out for the day. Can you give me some insite were I can go, unload, ect. I live right off Randall road I am thinking I could go west from my house and not have to trailer the sled.

Thanks for any help. :christmas: