Snowmobile World banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy a used sled & have an opportunity to pick up a 2000 500xcsp through a private sale.  Its the 45th anniversary pkg w/ studs, a boost bottle, and an upgraded clutch.  Mileage reads 1750.  Its looks like its been very well taken care of, inside and out with no damage whatsoever.  But, I am relatively new to the sport, been riding the last 3 years on a 96 Indy Trail.  Rode a friend's XC last year and loved it.  Been looking used ever since for a good clean sled.  There hasn't been much out there locally.  My questions are:
1.  If I can't buy new, is this sled a good sled, any known problems?  2.  The clutch kit.  He said he change it to get better response.  I'm not familiar with this it all.  He is wiling to put the old one back in.  Not sure what do.  Any ideas is appreciated.  3.  Price.  Looked it up and his asking price is a couple hundred over average retail of nada's $3800.  What is a good offer or sale price?  Any other input/info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
355 Posts
ive got a 99 indy5xcsp...its been an awesome sled...i love it. i just put a boost bottle on mine this past yr. and found that it gave it better throttle repsonse...i never had a problem with it...with the 45th version i know u got variable exhaust on it so that'll give it a litle more pep...if you wanted to, you could prolly ask him, what dealer he uses, then you could call the dealer and ask if he has heard of him, and if he's got any info. on the sled.. it sounds like a good deal from what youve said...try and bargin with him...if you go over w/ like 3500/3600 cash, i bet he'd sell it to you..just my .2c-INDY

·
Registered
468 Posts
i know the 500 ves engine is great .they are great sleds don't worry about the clutch kit .they do increase performance but i would still ask to have the factory clutch kit as well.there aren't any problems with those sleds chassis or engines .remember the ves valves will need cleaning periodically but if your  inexperienced take it to your dealer for him to clean and maintain your sled.the key to a great sled is proper and preventitive maintenance .the old gen 11 polaris chassis is very strong.it is basically the same chassis since 1986 when they tappered the tunnel but in reality its design dates back to 1979 when the indy was introduced but has seen tons on refinements from 79 till it became non - current on most polaris sleds after 2000 model year,even though it is still on a few polaris sleds today.so if the price is right i would not hesitate to buy it cause its an awesome sled and you'll love it

·
Registered
53 Posts
hey indy500xcsp did you really notice a big diff with the booster bottle? i got a 99 500 xc would a booster bottle be worth it on my sled? and would a set of reeds help out my sled at all or are they for big blocks?
thanks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
MY .02 CENTS---TAKE THE MONEY YOUR GOING TO USE TO BUY THE SLED AND PUT IT TOWARD A NEW SLED----WITH THAT MUCH CASH , YOUR MONTHLY PAYMENTS WILL BE LOW AND YOU LL HAVE A KICKING SLED -----LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES IN THE PAST

·
Registered
355 Posts
hey hbomb like i said i noticed that my throttle response was little crisper, also i noticed i ended up getting a little better mpg to. i dont remember exact #'s but in certain riding styles i noticed forthe most part 1-3mpg...3 was rare...i found the investment worth it... also i think i picked up a few ponies from it...the only real thing you have to do once you put it on is adjust the idle speed...we put it on mine and it went from 18/1900 to like 3200 rpm... we were defintly impressed with that....as far as the reeds go, i looked into that when i was doing the boost bottle but found for the 500 at the very most you were only lookin at best 3 maybe 4 hp. i just couldnt see spendin 200.00 on the reeds for that little bit, i rode a 98 xc 600 that had v-force reeds on it...and that thing had wicked acceleration and response.. id start with the bottle and go for there...hope this helps..-INDY

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Those edge chassis 500's go for alot less than that around me. I agree abouot buying a new one. Jeez for about 4to 5 thousand you can get a new leftover sled. Meks ne sence to spend $3500+ on a used 500
Caleb

·
Registered
959 Posts
i would say save the money get a new sled it will last you longer and you dont have to worrie about anything cuz it till be new where used you just dont know about it

·
Registered
10 Posts
The price should be more like $3,300 to $3,500 in nice shape. This sled is a real sleeper. It has over 100 hp and will run with and even embarrass some bigger sleds. It also rides real nice. I saw '01's for $4,000 to $4,200 at swaps this fall.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just bought the wife a 2002 500XCSP carry over with an 1 1/4 inch track for 5200 dollars, full warranty. I'd look around if I were you.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My brother has a '00 500 VES and that this is amazing! It will blow his wife's '99 500 right off the lake with no problem. You will however have to keep a close eye on how clean the valves are to keep it running at it's best. Oil will be a consern for this. Some oils will make them "gum" up like he found with Amsoil Synthetic, but the regular Polaris VES oil seems to be working fine. On hard pack trail on the lake it will run a strong 104-106 on radar which is about 8 mph faster than non VES 500's, and is faster than lots of larger sleds (600 and some 700'). The clutch kit won't be a problem, it will only make it work better. Go for it, you won't be upset with the results!

·
Registered
538 Posts
I paid $4,900.00 for my 500 EDGE XCSP 2002 this past January...............she does rock the trails; she will give any sled a run for their money on the trails - pending on the rider. :hallo1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts