Snowmobile World banner

00. mxz700 vs 98.xc700

6K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  Raider Rider 
#1 ·
who would win a drag race a 00 mxz700 or a 98 xc700. both are piped out. i think it would be close but i think the xc has it. just my opinion.

#4 ·
Does the 98 XC even have variable exhaust??  This is also the older chassis Polaris(don't know the weight)  All I know is that the guy I always go riding with has a 98 XC 700 and I beat him out of the hole pretty good every time with my 99MXZ 600 and it took him quite a while to catch up and he was barely catching up.(both studded)   My brother has a 01MXZ 700 and he beats me.  My money is definetely on the MXZ.

#5 ·
</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (dooittoit @ Sep. 10, 2002, 11:46pm)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Does the 98 XC even have variable exhaust??  .[/b][/quote]
Im with you. The poo did not have variable exhaust at that time. I had a 2000 mxz 700 & 600, was able to pass my brother on his 98 xc 700 on my 700 and the 600 ran with it the hole time. The doo will take it.

#6 ·
Be careful guys, those 98's have been around for a while, I've got one with vforce, slp head, egt's for jetting and a polaris race dept, clutch setup. 144 trail woodys, and I'm still over 100 mph (total trail setup), with my 265lb but on it @ 1000.
I've seen MXZ's do this as well, but not everyone's. Like it was said earlier. Setup on these sleds is going to be the difference.

#8 ·
i just got back from watching the two sleds race in a hay field and with a #### of a shock the xc won 4 out of 4. he was always 3-4 sled lenghts ahead i could not believe it. i looked under the hood and all he had was slp pipes.he must have had it clutched just right.

#9 ·
ME AND MY FRIEND BOTH BOUGHT BRAND NEW 98 XC-700'S AND THOSE SLEDS WHERE ROCKETS.THEY WERE AS FAST AS ####,FASTER THAN MY 2000 XC-700 AND IT WOULD ABSOLUTELY DESTROY MY SLOW 99 MX-Z 600.THE SECOND YEAR I HAD MY 98 XC 700 A GUY WITH A MACH-1 AND A SUMMIT 670-X WANTED TO RACE ME.I SAID NO WAY YOU'LL KICK MY BUT.SO MY BROTHER ON HIS PIPED UP 96 ULTRA RACED HIM AND KICKED HIS BUT BAD SO I FIGURED I'D GIVE HIM A TRY.GUESS WHAT I KICKED HIS BUT I COULDN'T BELIEVE IT .I CURRENTLY HAVE A 2000 XC 700 AND A 99 MX-Z 600 .AND IF I GO BACK AND LOOK AT ALL THE SLEDS I'VE EVER OWNED INCLUDING MY CURRENT SLEDS THAT 98 XC-700 WAS THE BEST SLED I HAVE EVER OWNED.

#10 ·
This is just MY personal experience with 98-01 XC 700's of unknown set-ups (I don't ask but I will listen). On snow, both my 97 Mach 1 and my 00 MXZ 700 (stock, studded, and proper maintenance) would win about 95% of the time. The one's I lost were by a sled length or less. My runs are usually 500' to 1200' since out here, it's very hard to find an area that's safe enough for a longer race. The 97 1/2 and very early 98's with the original RMK 700 engine would probably even the odds though, since they were 4-5 horse stronger than the rest. IMO holeshot, and state of tune will decide this race with the edge to the MXZ.

#11 ·
Those 98s were tough. I have a 00700 and a close friend of mine has the 98xc. When my sled was new we were riding with 2 other new 00700s,and he kicked all of our a$$es time after time after time. Once the break in chip expired and the new sleds loosened up the mxzs took the xc once in a while but most of the time the xc still had the upper hand. Minor cluthing changes to the mxzs helped belt life which also kept the xc finally reading the mxzs snow flap. I think the xc motor is way more responsive and consitant of a performer with engine mods vs the mxz. Case reed vs cylinder reed engines, my money is on case reed engines for peak hp!!!

#12 ·
How long of races did the XC win these races??  I see drag racing as a race where you finish before coming close to your top speed.  I couldn't see Polaris replacing their 700 engine with a weaker one.  I do believe the new 700 Polaris engines are pretty dang fast, but I would have to see a 98 Pol win that race to believe it, because the one I raced sure wouldn't beat the Doo(stock for stock)

#13 ·
I own a 00 mxz 700, had this race 2 seasons ago. I took the race not by much, I outweighed the other rider by about 25 lbs. The race was on an unplowed road, packed down. It was far enough to where we both topped out and just stopped after the race was clearly going no where.

#14 ·
98XC700 was 480lbs dry and had that stump pulling tourque.
With PSI twin pipes and clutch kit it use pull MXZ700's. I would say:"Hey bud nice machine, I just got this and wanna see how it will do against yours, you interested?"
I raced 2 mxz700's and a legend 700. I out ran my buds 670 HO as well. Top end beat my other buds triple800 grand touring earning respect from the triple crowd.
It humiliated two brand new SX700 Yamahas.
I was delighted with that machine. The Keihin carbs on it were garbage though. The float mechanisms loosened up and would bind as well as freeze up. Three pistons later I bought the '01 MXZ800 love them too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.