Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys im sick of stock racing and want somthing more. Im keeping my 01 700 mxz again for next winter but want to do some mods to race in the improved class next year, but i want to keep it mild enough to use it as a trail rider as well   (Could be tough). So what kind of mods have you guys done that really worked and what did you do that didint work out too well.  I race mostly 1000 ft drags on packed snow. Im looking to spend around 2 or 3 thousand bucks on it. So rather than waste money on setups that wont work tell me what you have.  I have a couple ideas up my sleeve now.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
For $3000 you can do lots!
IMO...drop a tripple in there...just don't tell the race judges..  

Seriously though, maybe do a trail port job, cut the head (if you can get good gas all the time) Put better reeds, bore the carbs....aftermarket pipe(s)

From what I've read, you can gain porbably 20 HP if you do all that...but I'm just regurgitating things I've heard other guys talk about (except for the tripple part
)

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that kinda what im looking for but need some actual setups from guys that have done this on their sleds, also some clutch and gear setups would be nice too.  I have connections here in NF but i have to ask you guys too.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Thunder shift clutch arms, some lower gears to play with and v-force reeds should help a little and you would get change back.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Wiseco twin ring pistons. Hemi head. Dyno port single pipe with STOCK can. Don't waste your money on V-force. Boyseen reeds in stock cages. Trail porting. Biggest gain is twin ring pistons and the hemi head. this set up on a '00 netted 140hp. Still trailable.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Jwheeler
Try Jaws pipes and their head and shim kit,I think you will be
pleasantly surprised.The whole setup costs about 1300cdn. and can be installed in an afternoon,I run it in a 2000 summit
and have beat piped machz's in 500ft. drags.Give Greg a call at Jaws he'll fill you in on the details.
                                     greygoatt

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
crank shops twins, boyesson reeds, clutching makes the 700 come to life,however a dynoport single will be more trailable and quieter while still giving you some hp gains.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Just clutch it right and you will be happier.  The series 3 engines are not a good motor to play with.  Too peaky,  mine with the Dynoport Single was quicker than  the twin Crankshops I had before the Dynoport, and the twins are very peaky to tune.  They will run different on different days.  Clutching is the key, clutch it right, and you will be happy. In my opinion, leave the series 3 motor alone.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Listen to the man about the twin ring wisecos. I will have a set in mine this year. I am running single ring wiseco's with other mods that net me 20 hp in the midrange and 17 hp over max stock but at a lower rpm. This is with the stock pipe. I ran against another '00 700 with Crank Shop twins. I gave him a 6 sled advantage and still smoked him. good luck ronzx9.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Ron,

How have you been.  Haven't heard from you in a while.  I still have you DPM, and still plan on sneding it to you.  We are heavy on the dyno at the moment, 130 hp without opening the engine with the 700.  I just hope the 800 goes as well.  Drop me a line.

GLH

·
Registered
103 Posts
Damon, I sent a message to you. You can hold the DPM until we get on the dyno. No big deal. Ron.

·
Registered
980 Posts
For pistons, I have also heard of using 670 HO pistons, anyone try that??

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know some people are doing that. I can get the Wiseco's cheaper than OEM so I'm going that route. ronzx9

·
Registered
292 Posts
As far as the 670 HO pistons, they are a mild improvement over stock but money can be spent other places for more gains. The 700 responds very well to mods but you must use the correct mods.  For those of you that know RON, ask him for a run across a 3 mile lake or a 500 ft drag.  Reliability is Key in my book and Ron's is no different.  So the answer to the question is there is alot one can do to the 700 mxz!!

GLH

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Hey ronzx9, I am ready to run you in a drag race.  I would love to see your sled run.   Damon, set it up.   I need to get on your dyno first though.   660' right?  LOL.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Kid Rocker,

Damon lives a long way from you! I know you had a lot of trouble tuning yours with the mods. Since I tossed those other parts (you know the ones) the torque curve on this thing is so wide I didn't see the day to day finickiness you are referring to. As long as there is enough traction she goes like crazy.

Damon has been a major help with the clutching. I sure hope this winter gives all of us a little more snow to ride on!!!

Take care, ronzx9.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
ronzx9, I was talking about twin pipes being finicky.  I went back to the single pipe with great success, great running sled now, but rings are hard to keep from burning the chrome off!  Going to double ring piston.   I am working on this engine as we speak.  You are right, Damon is a great guy and great with clutching.  I don't care how far he lives from me, if I can drive it I'll get there.  LOL.   Let's get together and run sometime.   Regards, Dave.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Dave,

I would be glad to help you.  Our schedule is busy with all the grass racing but I hope to have time in possibly June and November to do outside testing.  Come and see me at a race or drop me a line.  We will be at Haydays again this year.  We run mostly doo's and sometimes Cat's.  Other than that we are at races all over the country.  I have become obsessed with the 700 and 800 eventhough I have ordered a REV, somethings will remain the same and some will change.  My girlfriends 700 will be getting the same treatment as Ron's after this year in the grass, but until then it will be "stock" as they all say.  Cheers. Phone: 716 378 4098

Damon

·
Registered
103 Posts
Dave,

I live about 1/2 way between you and Damon. If we can get something set-up for this summer or fall you can drive here and we can load your sled in my trailer and head for Olean. Hopefully by then I'll have my new stuff from Rick and we'll have addition goodies to play with. Later, Ron.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts