Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been talking with my dealer about the rich condition I had in the mid range on my 2001 MXZ 800. He led me through a variety of scenarios that could be the cause of the rich condition. We ruled them all out except for one. He had mentioned that a few 2001's had come back and they found that the rubber coating on the reed cages was coming off. I pulled my reed cages this weekend and found that the rubber on the reed cages looked like an old sunburn peeling off. The rubber was blistered all over the place. I could visually see where the reed petals weren't completely seating. Has anyone else run across this? Does the dealer have updates for these reed cages or will he give me more of the same? (Not that it matters that much anyway since we had over 50 temps in Michigan today!&#33

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2001 mxz 800 with the exact same problem currently. Did you ever fix the situation with yours?- what performance upgrades did you add?

·
Registered
158 Posts
hey ther dunk master, my 01 800 had the same problem.I swicthed to v force reeds,much more efficient than stock.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am going to try the Boyesen reeds with the stock cages. I haven't seen the delamination problem on the second set of stock cages. I have a hard time justifying the $$ for the V-force.

·
Registered
144 Posts
This has been an ongoing problem on the 01's. I found it on my 01 this fall while doing my pre-season go thru. I took them to the dealer to see if they could get them warrantied (doesn't hurt to ask). They called Doo and were told no. My dealer gave me a number to call for customer service. I called and talked to a guy named Remy. I was very polite and just said please see what you can do. He said he would look into it. My dealer called back 2 hours later and said Doo offered to pay for 1 of the cages. $140 roughly. I thought that was pretty great of Doo. But if you are wanting to upgrade to better reeds now is the time. There isn't much gain to be had over the stock 800 cages when you consider the cost. The new cages will come with reeds. If you go with the stock cages and want to upgrade down the road, Boyesen petals are the best bang for the buck.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Same thing happened to my 01 and I had them replaced under warranty right before last season. I have since sold the sled and ride a REV.
I loved my 01 though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts