Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering if anyone had done a comparison, i am used to driving the 800 triple, i drove a 800 twin for about 10 miles last year and didn't like it that much.

i bought a o1 zr 600efi to go to the mountains with and didn;t mind it except for lack of power anda little to light.

i have the opertunity to get a new 01 triple in the box for a great price,  however the efi twin is interesting because we go out to the mountains twice a year.

if anyone has any thoughts please let me know.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
The triple just plain out rules.  If you ride up the mountains in powder it might not be the best sled for you but if your just following trails then you will love it.

1. Better gas milage.
2. Smoother.
3. Blistering top end.

Skidoos Mach has DPM which is great for mountain riding.  Not sure about cat but the triple is definetly worth losing EFI.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Never rode an 800 twin so I won't say anything about that.  I would think about the new triple still in the crate, think long & hard!  There's alot of rumors that Cat and others are dropping their tripples.  I don't think anyone knows if it's true, yet.  If they drop the tripples, you have a chance to get a brand new one!  Something to think about!!

·
Registered
394 Posts
had a 99 zrt 800, now have 02 zr 800 modified for trail to 150 hp over 100lbs or torque.  this sled is more nimble in the trail and pulls harder up to top end.  If you will be dicing throught the trail I would go with the zr if you will be on flat long trails that don't wind or lakes the zrt should be fine.  The zr is 1000 times better that the zrt 800 in my oppinion.  Even in the trail i like it better than my 98 zr 600 and my 96 zrt 600.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I just went through the same dilemma...have been riding ZRT800 for past 5 years and LOVED the power...midrange and topend were awesome!!!  But this year I switched to new ZR800, and just got back from MI and now love the twin too.  I based my decision on where I do the most riding...which is in St Germain, WI, lots of trails...and the fact that all brands are limiting or deleting triples from their lineups.  The twin is much snappier, which is what you need on trails, less maintenance, and easier on gas and oil.  If I ran alot of lakes and county roads, would keep the triple, but for the trails I like the twin much better...hope this helps.

·
Registered
126 Posts
One thing you have to consider when comparing an older triple or any other older Cat is the '02's have the coupled rear suspension. If you compare an '02 ZR to a '98 Zr (apples to oranges) you will notice a much improved ride and better handling. Also, the ZRT's have always been a little behind the rest of Cat's sleds for improvement. My brother's 2000 ZRT 600 is a much better handling sled than my '98. I rode an '02 ZL600 SS EFI a couple of weeks ago and could not believe how well it handled, the smooth ride over very large bumps, and how easy it was to maneuver. I have ordered the A.C.T. kit from Royal Distributing for my '98, and will report any improvements. I know it won't be like the '02, but it should be much better. Someone should compare the '02 600 ZR/ZL to the '02 ZRT 600. That would be more like apples to apples.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts