Snowmobile World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
needed a new project.i am going to swap a 01 500 xcsp motor into a 96 440 sp chassis.i need help in the electronics, mounting,airbox and pipe.i have some of the basics but need to know if parts are interchangeable say with the 97 or98 440 xcr in the old chassis or a 2000 in the gen2 chassis. THANKS

G

·
I know AC changed their electrical system in 97 so say a 97 motor won't work in a 96 sled unles you revamp the stator.  Might want to check on whether Polaris might have done something similar between then and now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
A friend of mine was debating this last year but never got around to it. Just get a airbox off a 99-00 xc 500 (sp) or not, the pipe might work but you'll need another silencer(more compact), and you'll need all the wiring for the 500.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Paulner,
I made a similar swap last season and rode 1500 TROUBLE FREE miles. I put a 2000 XC 600 twin in a '97 XC 600 triple (wedge chassis).  Here are a few things to look out for:

1. I had to buy an engine mounting plate from a '98-'99 XC 600/700. This lined up with the bolt pattern on the engine and the front left mounting hole on the bulkhead. I then removed the rear engine mounts(must completely remove the track) and mounted the engine using the front left mount as a guide.  Using a clucth alignment tool I got the engine positioned so the primary was parallel and offset(required) 1/8" from the secondary clutch. I then used a paint marker to locate the new rear mount positions.
Other than this everything was quite straight forward.

I got a pipe from a '98 XC 700 and had to hammer a slight dent into it to allow for the shock tower. May have slightly hurt performance but nothing noticeable.

Other than the OEM decals on the hood it is nearly impossible to tell it was a triple.

Let me know how you make out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.