Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changing tracks. Back allen bolts holding back of skid came out fine. Back of skid droppped. Loosened two front 16mm bolts,both freed up. Backed out pto side bolt in front, came out no problem. Mag side bolt just spins, both directions. Tried putting back the pto side bolt but it does not want to grab the threads, bolt heads spins and not fully seated against tunnel. Both bolts are now spinning both ways. I tried lateral and vertical pressure on the skid as I tried to both tighten and loosen these bolts but nothing. What the hay? Help me before I pull the remaining hair out of my head.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Did you hold the right side bolt with a wrench while trying to retighten the left side bolt? Its one piece of aluminum across there, you have to stop it from turning. Once you have tightened the left (pto) bolt, try removing the right bolt.. then go back to the left bolt.

If not, an impact wrench will usually spin it fast enough.. try to borrow someone's air compressor if you know someone with one (if you don't have one).

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Walrus, thanx. I thought it through over dinner and I figured they were connected. I will use my air gun to spin off the second. Thanx for the words of wisdom. JQ

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
vtjg, I'll bet you had fish for dinner, right? Glad it worked out for ya. :)

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
If that doesn't work, put a pipe wrench (do not use vice grips!) on the shaft to hold it while you turn the bolt with your socket wrench.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thankeemuch, she is out and my new predator is on the operating table ready for 144 new holes. Appreciate the responses as always. Bring on the snow! Kid Rocker, it was actually the habernero peppers that gave me the wisdom. JQ

·
Registered
113 Posts
Originally posted by performancex@Nov 5 2002, 07:21 PM
If that doesn't work, put a pipe wrench (do not use vice grips!) on the shaft to hold it while you turn the bolt with your socket wrench.
That won't work.. the shaft is inside the front suspension arm sleeve.

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
you'll for sure have to reinstall the one you have out then tighten it until you can loosen the other side. ah forget it just get the blue flame wrench because that pipe wrench trick won't work. :devil:

·
Registered
3,183 Posts
Originally posted by Walrus+Nov 5 2002, 07:14 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Walrus @ Nov 5 2002, 07:14 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--performancex@Nov 5 2002, 07:21 PM
That won't work.. the shaft is inside the front suspension arm sleeve.[/b][/quote]
:doh: my bad. Wasn't thinking. I've done the pipe wrench on lower cross shafts where the shaft was accessible.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts