Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know how to check the voltage regulator/rectifier on a 2001 srx?
It doesn't idle well and stalls if you give it throttle. If the load control relay is pulled it runs fine

i'm presently doing all the checks for what seems to be a short in the lighting system

The shop manual asks to do a check on the regulator but doesn't tell a guy how to go about it

·
Registered
287 Posts
I looked through a manual I own, It says what your says. If you disconnect the load control relay, and it runs or runs better, there is a short or something in the lighting system. If you have a voltmeter, a regulator/rectifier regulates the voltage and converts it from AC to DC, 2 jobs. I had a problem blowing out headlights and taillights in an Arctic-Cat. There was 22 volts AC current at the headlight. replaced the regulator/rectifier and got it to 15 volts DC. No problems as of yet. I would get a multi meter and take readings on the headlight and see what the voltage is. Is it AC or DC? What is the voltage output? Thats about all I can Help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the input, i do have have a multimeter and have dissconnected everything to do with the lighting and metering systembut have not found any shorts yet.

The one thing that did seem strange was when i disconnected the variable resistor that controls the heat grips it maintaned idle but would stall the second i reconnected it.

I've removed the two condensors and going to have them checked as soon as i find someone with a capacitance meter

oh by the way i made a mistake with year, it is actually a 2000 srx 700

·
Registered
253 Posts
Bloodywolf,

Yamaha put out a technical bulletin about the engine dropping RPM's or shuts off when first starting.

As copied from the bulletin:

Problem: Some units may experience either of the two symptoms:
1. When the headlight switch is in the low beam position, the
engine will start but then quickly shut off. The engine will not
stay running unless the headlight switch is put in the high
beam position when starting.

2. The engine will momentarily drop rpm and sometimes shut off
once during the first start up. When restarted, the symptom
is gone, and the unit will start and run normally.

Cause: When the Load Control Relay engages at 700 rpm, it can cause a
momentary loss of spark due to low ignition system voltage.

Remedy: If either symptom presents itself, replace the headlight relay with
the Headlight Relay Kit designed to reduce current draw during
start up.

The part number for that headllight relay kit is "90891-50137-00".

This would include a sub-harness with three open couplers allowing installation to the existing wiring harness.

Hopefully this will help.

Jon

·
Registered
253 Posts
Bloodywolf,

By the way, do you happen to have any accessories added to your machine, or do you have an aftermarket headlight which may have too high of a wattage?

Anything you installed (if you did) should be connected to the blue wire after the Load Control Relay. This would ensure regulated 12-volt DC power source that will not draw on the system until the load control relay closes. If you have an accessory using more watts than the system would allow, you will most definitely experience what's happening to you: igintion misfire or engine stalling, low power or poor performance, or the engine will not reach full rpm.

As far as how to check the regulator, I'm not real positive on that.

Jon

·
Registered
287 Posts
when you find the problem post it, I would like to know what it was. Thanks, Paul

1 - 6 of 6 Posts