Snowmobile World banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
k.. here is the deal.. i got this sled in sep. have have put just over 400 mile one it.. and ran fine but thought it was kinda strange that i couldn't get it to go barly 100mph.. but low power was still good.. ?? its totaly stock nothing done to it.. but the little boost bottle thing..

anyways it was fine till last week i was riding and after about an hour.. it bogged ofter take off from a stop... and them clear'd out.. and about 1 minute latter did it again and them the temp light came on?? and i pulled off to the side and shut it down.. and saw anti-freeze all behind me?? and was bubbling in the little coolent tube.. i looked it over and didnt see any leaks...and let it sit for a few minutes.. then it started right back up and temp was off... slowly went to a gas station about 4 miles more and was fine... filled it back up and rode for almost the rest of the day.. ( i figured there was not much snow and was a warmer day so just got hot but the others i was riding with .. theres sleds were fine)
we almost got home and was cruising.. along not beating on it cuz was still conser'd about it... i did get on it and the light came on for a sec and back off. so slowed way down to like 25 mph and watched it .... and sure enough about a mile more it came on and then the sled quit !! ???
i thought i blew it up.. but it still pulled over hard.. so towed it home..and the next day went out and it started right up so thought that part of blowing it up was gone atleast !! lol ....
so pulled it in the garage to check it out and cand find anything wrong ?? thought maybe the thermostat was stuck.. so took it out and did a old racing trick and gutted it out and put it back in ... so it still would slow down the flow abit.. and drove it around the yard for abit ..thought it fixed it bit .. after about 5 minutes.. just when i was going to put it away.. it booged and quit !!! ?? but then started right back up again .. still having good power !! ?? but lost anti- freeze again...

i have no idea ???? PLEASE HELP !!!!

the only thing im thinking about looking at now is the front heat exchanger.. to see if something is wrong with it

ANY INPUT GUYS !!!

LOL SRY FOR THE MARATHON STORY !! :(

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
First thing to check is the water pump belt. If you break the belt, you also lose the oil pump, so it's really critical that it's working. If the belt is ok, another possibility is the nut on the water pump impeller may have come loose. I have had both issues, the belt is the more common, the nut on the impeller was a tough one to track down!

·
Registered
348 Posts
I do know the big blocks 600 / 700s were using the water pump along with the fuel injector feeding off the same belt. Im not sure how the newer 800 VES actually set up but check like BCDan stated. If your temp light comes on, I believe the motor has a sensor that tells the computer to retard its timing when it gets too hot. Its acts like as if its running on one cylinder. I do know the '99 - '03 XCR800 has that and it happened to me once with my old '99 when the waterpump went. WL

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
To check the belt, you will have to remove the recoil starter. The bottom bolt is a real bugger to get off, some guys toss that bolt in the trash and don't re-install it. The belt is a small cogged belt driven by a pulley on the flywheel, it drives a gear that is attached to the water pump. When you remove the recoil, the oil pump comes with the recoil housing, you can usually leave it hooked up and just move it aside to change the belt. That little belt is one spendy item, take a friend that knows CPR when you go to get one. It's a good idea to replace the belt every couple of years as a preventive measure.

White Lightning, the 800 block is the same as the BB 600 and 700, all that changed with VES was the cylinders and exhaust.

·
Registered
348 Posts
BCDan, youre right - what l didnt know was, that the XC8 uses the BB 600 / 700 case. I do know the 600 and 700 VES are small blocks and I thought the 800 was the same thing.

Youll have to take the pipe and possible the can out in order to gain a better access to the recoil starter. Like BCDan stated, put in a new belt before u put everything back together .... after you find out what cause it to leak anti-freeze. WL

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Polaris has had a few VES 700's. The first 700 VES was a big block (2002-2005), the second 700 VES (755cc) was a short-lived engine built only in 2006 off of the ill-fated 900 block. The third VES 700 is built on a 440 race motor crankcase, upped to 600cc in the HO 600, and started out in the 700 in 2007. Polaris sure has built a lot of different engines they have called 700's! The 2000 600 VES was the switch from BB to small block in the 600.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
k i elevated the sled and filled it with anti freeze.. i can see it circulating and my oil light dont come on ..so i think i can take the belt off the table.. i took it down the street about 300 feet then when i went to turn around the thing bogged down.. and then when i got back to my house it quit again and pored out the over flow again ... not even running for more then 3 minutes.. i released the pressure valve on top of the thermostat .. and steam pored out for like at lease a minute or two ?? what do you thing now ?? its like its building up pressure.. could it be a blown head gasket?? on the water side.. cuz its not coming out the exhaust?? just pushing the anti freeze back out the over flow...

and another thing the black variable exhaust things the stick out the cylinder's one is pushing out what looks like smoke out of it?? is that normal or not ??

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It definitely could be a blown o-ring in one of the heads or a cylinder base gasket. With the engine idling and the cap off, do you get any bubbles in the coolant? And do they smell like exhaust? If it builds pressure but the coolant is still cold, it's almost always an exhaust leak into the cooling system. Could be an o-ring went, but when you pull the heads, check the heads with a true straight edge to make sure the heat has not warped them.

Smoke coming out of the VES assembly would indicate you have a hole in the VES bellows. If your valves are stock, it's probably time to replace the bellows. You may want to also consider replacing the aluminum guillotines with the stainless steel ones, the aluminum ones can come apart and toast a cylinder, especially on the 800. There is not a whole lot of cooling in the cylinder around the valve, so they are prone to heat damage. I posted a thread with some pics that shows how the valves come apart, you may want to take a look in the engine/driveline part of the forum and look under the "how to" sticky at the top.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
took the head off cant really see any bad spots.. but going to replace them and see if it works... but another thing is when i pull it over shouldn't the water do down?? or try to curculate with the hoses off?? and whn i took the head off the top hose was dry.. like no water at all in it???

with the water pump connected to the crank when i pull it over shouldn't it turn the water pump and try to circulate the water?? its not..

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
another potential problem would be the water pump impeller. Sometimes the nut gets loose and the shaft spins inside the impeller. Without the impeller turning, the pump doesn't flow water...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well bought all the gaskets.. and going to put it back together again.. is there a way to test to see if the water pump is working without pulling the recoil off ???

i still dont think its that.. cuz when it did over heat the first time.. i babied it to a gas station and refilled it.. and drove the rest of the day fine.. for like 3 hours.. of riding .. till i got a mile from home it over heated again.. and now it does it fast.. i guess it still could be.. in the fact that it was getting week and then now it failed totaly.. i just cant figure out how come its building up preassure and forcing it back out the overflow..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well decided to pull the recoil off to make sure since i have the motor apart anyways... and what do you know.. lol... the coggs are all gone on the belt....
boy the guy who had this before me soooo didn't take care of the motor..( took care of the outside )
i just wanted something to ride for the winter and turn around and sell it...
and now tearing into this thing i see the ves is messes up on the one side.. the not is stripped out.. the bellow is ripped.... both the cylinders are all goug'd up one of the rings was seated right up to the piston...on the same side the ves is messed up on (might have help'd with the ring seating up on it)...
but im not going to replace them i just want to sell it... not putting more money into.. it still had 150 psi in one cylinder and 135 in the one that the ring was seated on.. i got it loose and cleaned it up abit.. was going to see if a guy i know could hone.. the cylinders but said can't cuz they are nickel.. o well going to put it together and get rid of it.. if i was going to keep it i would do it right.. but im not.. and to be honest cant afford to.. ( selling in the first place for money to expand my buisness )

thanks for you help guys !! will post again when its together.. and let you know how it all work's out !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
348 Posts
BCDan, heres my story and maybe you can help me figuring this out. A buddy of mine bought this sled off from a guy I know who bought it when the engine was all apart. he rebuilt the motor before my buddy bought it. During the first season, the sled ran fine. The start of the 2nd season, I noticed the smell of "anti-freeze" was coming from the exhaust - it didnt appear to lose alot of antifreeze so my reaction was, prolly a bad O-rings. I did see which cylinder appears to be the problem, the mag side because Ive found some "greenish" on the piston. So I replaced ONE base gasket and replaced all 3 O-rings. At the start of the 3rd season, still leaks from the exhaust. My next thought was .. its either the head is bad OR the cylinder is cracked. So I swapped the mag head to middle cylinder and middle to MAG to see if its the head possible be warped or if it still leaks, then my next thought would be the mag side cylinder may be cracked. Now we are on the 4th season and it still smells like leaking antifreeze in the exhaust and Im more thinking its the cylinder now. My question to you is, if the cylinder does have a crack, how would it enter inside the engine and have it blow out in the exhaust? Could I be able to find the crack or would it be impossible to find? Oh and by the way, this is a '99 XCR700 first year and only year 700 VES triple-triple. WL

·
Registered
556 Posts
So you bought a 8 yr old sled. it did'nt run right.
you didn't do basic exhaust valve checks on a used sled,,so it overheated , seizing the ring, you didn't have anti freeze under the head so you probably didn't bleed the anti freeze system enough after adding water.

So relax it happens to everyone,
,the cylinder scratches are no big deal, you freed up the ring. (it would be best to replace the piston and remove the melted alunimum from the cylinder with muric acid)
replace the diaphram clean the exhaust valves, replace the themostat,belt and ( I had a 02 500 there is a higher press. coolant cap availble for warm weather) replace the coolant cap bleed the system
add water wetter or purple ice it helps alot.
your biggest cost would be a gasket kit and piston.

You have it apart , make it right.
I hope you tell the next guy whats going on. (at least the belt and exhaust valve)

Have a good one!

·
Registered
556 Posts
dude with the coolant leak,,you should be able to see the crack,,
If you don't want to fix it barsleak has a new product to temp. seal cylinder head gasket and crack leaks.

It goes againt my do it right thoughts;but if you're cheap and you want to get thru the season with out recking your bottom end you could give it a try.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Some cracks can be very small and get larger as the cylinder gets hotter. You should still be able to see where the problem is. If not, maybe magna-flux it to see if the crack becomes evident? I'm not sure who would do that. If the problem follows the cylinder when you moved from one spot on the case to another, it would stand to reason it's a cylinder problem...

·
Registered
8 Posts
not so much of a reply

Hello,
My friend bought a 1994 600 Triple a few days ago. It appears to need a H2O pump, or that looks like the area that it is leaking from. We got the first three bolts from the recoil housing out...how the heck do you get the last one on the other side of that belly pan rail???
Thanks for any info,
dano (bbdano2201)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Some of 'em, you have to loosen the motor mounts and raise the engine up to get to that pesky bottom bolt. Your call whether you put that one back in again...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts