Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while ago someone listed a fix for the 800 recoil that used an older style. What was the older style recoil from and is it a "bolt on"? The one on my 800 slips and in general SUCKS. I pull the recoil out to engage the dog and then pull. It slips out about a foot of rope and then catches again. By that time you've lost all your momentum.

Also, what is the fix for the hard restart when the sled is warm? 1/2 a turn in on the fuel screw?

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
171 Posts
For hard starting. You didnt give your elevation but if your up high it might just be low compression. Also check to see if the carbs are Sync. My "01" was very hard starting after warm up and it turned out the rubber  coating had come loose on the reed cages, They looked normal untill the rubber was pulled, than it was obvious that the adhesion had broken down and the rubber was holding the reeds open.

Try turning you fuel screw to 2.5-3 turns. Made mine run a lot cleaner at low RPM.

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
for the hard re-starting...just try and give it about 1/4 throttle while you pull the rope...it'll start every time

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I always start mine with a little throttle.  

As for slipping 1 foot of rope.  Thats not good.  I never heard of that happening.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Giving the sled throttle when you restart is not a cure. That's a band aid. My buddies ZR 800 doesn't need throttle on a warm restart. There has to be a way to fix this issue, not just ignore it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
RotaxLover,

The "old" style recoil comes on 1999 & 2000 series 3 engines.  I busted mine (02 mxz800) last weekend, luckily the wife's sled was there (00 form deluxe 700 w/elect start).  

Change was easy but you will require not just the recoil but also the mounting flange from the 99/00 engine.  Reason for this is that the "old" recoil has a rubber ring that fits onto a triangle piece of material on the mounting plate.

Worked great on my 800, no slipping, very solid.

WHY DOES SKIDOO NOT GO BACK TO THE OLD STYLE, I JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND

Good luck...

·
Registered
739 Posts
There's going to be a green MXZ?

I've noticed my recoil starting to skip also. I may have to try the old style, if that's what it takes. No problems with re-starting though. I even thought about adding elec. start. I must be getting older

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
Sled head -  2 weekends ago we had a Zr recoil jam up on us.  You can hear metel parts inside and it jamed the engine.  

Doesnt sound like a fix,  Sounds like bigger problems.  

Maybe you ment if you buy a ZR you will be in more shape from constantly pulling it over that your arm will be in great shape to tackle the 800mxz.  

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
SkiDoo has always had a problem warm starting their sleds...I don't know what it is, but most if not all don't want to run when they are warm. I see no harm in opening the throttle a bit when warm starting.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My recoil self destructed on my 01 800 twin and I put on a complete new recoil and it skips now too.I noticed it grabs ever time when its cold but skips when it's warmed up. I will take it apart this summer and look at the mechanism that it engages with maybe it's warn too. One other area or sign of incoming damage is the recoil spring broke 3 times on me then on the 4 spring everything let go, what a mess, had to take out the stator to clean it it was full of metal pieces stuck to the magnetic stator. I think the plastic shaft wears allowing for the pulley to flex and jamb and then lead to broken springs.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I've had mine off for the 3rd and hopefully last time
I shimed it out a bit and she seems to be working sweet so far.I've been hitting the gym extra lately so i can start my 800 while still sitting on it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Myself and two friends both bought the 800x's this year.  2 out of 3 (mine was one) needed new recoils.  If this would have been a good winter and everyone would have put on more miles, Ski-doo would have had a much larger recoil crisis this season.  This is an issue that won't go away until they come out with a fix. The current fix of putting on another recoil (just like the one you took off) is only a bandaid that buys some time.

·
Registered
272 Posts
My dealer has ordered me an updated recoil assembly, that ski doo has available.  My first recoil went with 50 miles on my 2001 800.  Dealer installed a new one, and that lasted for 2000 miles.  I am out of warranty now, but will not pay for a new one, as ski doo knows they are defective.  If you had yours in once before under warranty, insist that your dealer order you a new one at ski doo's expense.  Sounds like a lot of people are paying for these, and that is b.s.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts