Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out for an awesome ride today on the MacKay River where no snowmobile has set a track on yet! Wonderful powder and fun. 3 of us went out and all returned which is a good thing. But I noticed on my machine how oily the cyl head is. Noticed it before but it never really ran long enough for me to worry about it has I thought where it was in the shop so much it was from there. I cleaned the machine good and have been out twice on it since. Seems to run fine, a bit rich maybe but at least now it gets me back. I've put on 310 kms , used 2 liters of oil and 74 liters of fuel. The PTO side of the engine head is covered in oil. The mag side has some but the PTO has enough that it is running on my belt and making a mess under the hood. It is coming from the spark plugs. The machine is running a tad rich but nowhere near enough to cause this. Wish I had a digital camera to take a picture and post it. The oil/fuel mixture is running down on the belt and the carb coolant line. Anyone else have this? I am running 540 mains but do not know what was done to the needles at the shop. I know that they were shimmed to lean it out but to what degree I know not. Speaking of which can you purchase adjustable needles for that machine? Does anyone know what, if any, changes were made for the 2003 800's?
   Anyway. Has I said before the unit runs fine. Lots of get up and go. Tops out at 190km/hr on hard pack and 160 in foot and half snow. I think thats normal. Compression is 150psi. Main jets are 540's. Running V-Force reeds, Thunder arm kit, DNE can. Tried changed plugs thinking it was a bad sealing washer but still the same. Any ideas? Dealer said seen it before but I don't think this dirty.

·
Registered
172 Posts
try tightening up your plugs.  thats about the only place that it can come out of.     also is it coming out all around the plug, or just in certain spots?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried tightening the plugs to the point of almost overtorquing. Tried new plugs as well hoping it was the sealing washer. Same senerio. And yes, the oil/fuel is coming from the around the plugs. Both sides, PTO side alot more though.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I had a buddy's sled do that it was a xc 600, not that bad thou. loosen up both plugs and ckeck the play in the threads and compare with the other plug,maybe pto cyl.threads have just a little more play. Sounds wierd but I would try that high temp silicone that they use to seal the eghaust and put a small amount on the upper part of the plug threads, not the whole plug.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Just a thought,check the rave valve gaskets to see if they are seeping oil from them.It may be getting on the head from there when you are riding,a possibility cause i've never seen that much oil blow-by from the plugs/head

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any ideas you guys? This is with about 400kms on the unit now since being cleaned. Changed plugs and torqued the heck out of them. The PTO side is worse, with the mixture now running on the belt and clutch. But all for all the machine seems to run fine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Never seen a tight plug leak. I would guess that the gasket sealing surface is either damaged or is out of square with the threads.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Torque the spark plugs between 18 and 20 foot pounds that should clear that problem, it did on mine.
There is nothing wrong with your engine, just that engine runs hot and is cooled by extra fuel and oil and the spark plugs loose there seal tightness after a while from removing the spark plugs for inspection.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
I've been around sleds since '69 and have never seen anything like that.
Are the plugs Champions or NGKs? Try the other brand. There might be a problem with the sealing gasket. Using FINNBEAR's logic, we all would have seen this sometime in our travels.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've torqued the plugs to spec, and over to try and get rid of problem, and have changed the plugs thinking it may be the sealing washers. Only thing I can come up with is the sealing surface on the head itself is not right. Going to contact Ski-Doo(again) about this. Just was curious if anyone else has the same problem.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would say the sealing surface is a little rough on the head. Try and get Doo to fix it, or use a little of the liquid teflon pipe sealant on the threads closest to the washer and on the washer itself.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad you included the pics, looks like you have bad threads take it back to your dealer before you clean it up. In a emergency wrap teflon tape on the plug threads. Most of the guys around here are running 470/480 jets without a problem. On the 02's we are putting the washer on top of the needle.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts