Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at possibly getting my wife this sled. Its the 500 w/ VES. Has an M-10 installed. Any known/common problems with the motor? What gas mileage can I expect out of it?

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
I had a 2000 and a 2003 500XCSP. Both of the sleds were good runners and would get 140 miles out of a tank of fuel on hard packed trails. I cleaned the valves every 1000 miles and used synthetic oil. The only problem I had with these machines was the ignition coil broke down in snowy conditions, but once I sprayed the coil with high voltage paint; the problem was fixed.

Good luck on your choice.
John.

·
Registered
657 Posts
The 500 is the engine Polaris has always been famous for. Be it the old 488 AC or the new 500 VES. My local dealer tells me they have NEVER had one of those come back. So that's saying something.

·
Registered
580 Posts
As far as milage goes the guy I ride with all the time (03' or 04' XCSP500) gets significantly better mileage than I do out of my 99 ZR 500 efi..... it's downright embarrassing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have the same machine and I can vouch for the reliability of the engine and the mileage. I have had no complaints with it. Just make sure you give it a goog checking over for possible wear. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys. May try and go look at it Saturday.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I bought an 02 500 XC/SP VES edge skid for the wife this year and it is a great sled. Actually a blast to ride. Heck I had a good time riding it as did my 2 sons.

The little rocket pulls hard to 80. Not sure how much more it has but at 80 it was still moving out.

I put on a 1 inch throttle block on it for my youngest son to get used to it. Well what a joke that was. With the block in place she ran an easy 70 with lots left.

So far the fuel mileage has been crazy trail riding. So far mileage is 180 miles on a tank on stock jetting.

The ride with the edge is real good. Trick was to keep it on the loose side both skid and IFS.

It currently runs Torco synthetic. I run Amsoli in my other sleds but I may keep this one on Torco as it likes it. I was going to change it over once she ran out but with the mileage it gets it is very easy on oil.

Very happy with this sled.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts