Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a sled for next year and cant decide between a used 02 edge x 800 and mxzx 800. Cant he polaris keep up? How is the suspension. I weight 290 and i had an 01 mxzx last ear and the stiff suspension was great i never bottomed out. Just wondering how the polaris would be. Plus all my buddies ride skidoo and i dont want to be getting dusted all the time. Any opiions would be great.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
in a straite line you wont have trouble keeping up.  But if you and your buddies ride hard in the trails you might have trouble keeping up.  The zx is a amazing handling machine.  

If you want to smoke your buddies in all areas get a REV 800.

·
Registered
852 Posts
A buddy of mine took a hpg shock I had off a zx and put it on his edge and it stopped the bottoming so I guess thats a easy fix.  I think both machines speed and acceleration wise are about the same maybe te polaris having a edge stock in 500 feet  but you should ride both as they have radically different personality`s.

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
That pic looks like a photoshop jobby!!  

·
Registered
3 Posts
American Snowmobiler Magazine had a 2001 shootout 1/4 mile Polaris won every class! 800xcsp  96.77 mph vs mxz800 94.14 mph. 700xcsp 95.74 mph vs mxz700 86.87 mph  600xcsp 91.46 mph vs mxz600 81.66. These are randomly selected from local dealers. Skis were installed,sleds fueled and then raced. and the winner was polaris. this was on grass so they all had decent traction, so it was about as fair as it could be. And before I get brand bashed by skidoo lovers. I have a nasty little 99 mxz 500 in the garage, that I love. I bought the polaris just so I could do alittle damage to all my buddies with their big motors and triples. Plus the M10 rides like a cloud. I just smile over the nasties while the rest of them are getting the crap kicked out of them. It's all good, and I promise to wait for them. ha

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
It was later found out that the polaris in american shootout had all been out of the box AND THEN SOME! They had even cut the slide rails thin for the grass surface so there was no drag, put more and larger circumferenced wheels. Complete chassis was aligned and blueprinted, including engines. Joe consumer gets bent over again when he gets his polarpup home, and does not get these results. All the mags agreed to not report this story, or they would lose advertising dollars from one of the big four. Wonder which one. LOLLLLLLL

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a 2001 mxz800 and the 2002 xc800 gets 1 length out of the hole at about 90mph I top end him. The 2001 xcs are no contest

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hey 2002 mxzx when you grow up you will be a bigger rider.
(just kidding)
I'm 6'4 and go 340 before i'm dressed. I've had M'10 and have an 02 Edge. The M-10 is defintely a better ride for us "Large Cars"

With the stock springs in the Edge cranked all the way I bottomed . I just put their heavy duty springs in and have them at the lowest setting and have not bottomed.

But as I've said before when I buy my next new sled, It will have a factory installed M-i0. I installed the first one myself and I would prefer not doing that again.

·
0 Posts
- Go with the polaris.... But remeber you are asking in a polaris forum so it all depends on who you talk to!

·
Registered
259 Posts
I wouldn't use the am snow shoot-out as a reference. I think those numbers a little bit too good to be real. Go to www.snobarons.com. These are the hayday results. How could Polaris do so well at the shoot-out with these results at the Haydays? No matter what you buy you can beat your buddies, its all about clutching and rear suspension. Although the ski-doos seem to be fast I would go with the Polaris, I think they make a better machine. If you set it up right you should be able to outrun your buddies anyway.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, SKI-DOO requires a 300 miles break inperiod for the MPEM.  so you take a SKI-DOO 800 MXZ stock w/ 300 miles, and a Polaris 800 xcsp stock w/ 300 miles, and make sure the polaris doesnt have anything rigged like they usually do.  SKI-DOO will win.  and also SKI-DOO gears their sleds for more highlow to mid range power, so like once you get past 20 or 30 it really starts kicking.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the input it is great to see different sides of the story. The polaris with factory m-10 seems like it mightbe worth a try.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Quality speed and performance are all better in teh 800 Doo.  The M-10 lets the pol ride better but that is it.  Out on the lakes this year the Polaris twins were no match for the doo and cat twins.   Resale value on the doo's is a lot higher than Polaris also, at least in this area.  My mxz had no trouble staying with xc 7 and my brothers ZR 8 showed snowflap to the XC 8's every time and in every condition.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts