Snowmobile World banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just noticed that the primary on my '02 MXZ 800 X has a groove worn in the primary near the bottom of the sheaves. I am using the stock 127 belt and everything is perfectly aligned. Anyone else seeing this wear problem? Only have about 1500 miles on it.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is it possible belt may be a bit tight allowing it to wear into the sheaves at idle? Is it on both faces or just one? Lift the machine up and start it. Track should not turn. If it does possible belt a little short. What is the machine idling at and what is the engagement rpm?

·
Registered
172 Posts
also might be that you let it idle for too long      or that you drive fairly slow and you are not getting the clutch to shift very far

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
bobber...the alignment and c/c are to specs within .010" according to Ski-Doo Tech. Belt deflection - the same. The track just barely moves when the rear end is lifted. The machine idles at about 1800 RPM. Engagement is about 4000 RPM.

1000-IMP...I only let the machine idle long enough to warm up before riding. I won'trun a cold machine down the trail. And believe me, I'm not a slow driver that doesn't get the machine to shift out.

I don't treat this sled any different than any other that I have had. I have neverseen this before.

I would like it if all of you would give the primary on your '02's a check to see if you have this groove starting to form.

·
Registered
8 Posts
There is an updated centre to centre spec.If you have the stock primary spring this shouldnt happen.Try the belt deflection.My 02/800 is not doing this[1500 miles] and my 01/800[2200 miles] did not do this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts