Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to put heated carbs on my 800 and i found a guy that has 40mm carbs from a totaled out 02 mxz 600, will these work on mine? i know ill have to change jets and needles but will it work?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. I have done it.[/b]
Sweet!! thats what i like to hear!! did you have to tap into the head cover to run the coolant? how did you do it?

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Sweet!! thats what i like to hear!! did you have to tap into the head cover to run the coolant? how did you do it?[/b]
Man, I'm sorry. I didn't catch the fact the you were wanting to do it with a 600. I did it with an 800 and there were no issues. I'll try to look into it for you if you like to see what else needs to be done.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, I'm sorry. I didn't catch the fact the you were wanting to do it with a 600. I did it with an 800 and there were no issues. I'll try to look into it for you if you like to see what else needs to be done.[/b]
mine is an 01 800. I found some 02 600 heated carbs.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok lol being that im the only one working on this swap, i ended up buying a set of heated carbs off of a 02 600. I have compared jets, pilot jets and needles. the jets are the same but the needles are different. when installing new needles do you need to instal a matching seat too? if so how do you remove the old seats?

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
The needle jets cannot be removed under normal circumstances as they are pressed in. There are some after-market performance companies who will swap them for a price. There are two styles of needle jets on the those carbs hooded and non hooded. If the models you have are hooded then its just as easy as changing the jet needle for a 800 part. If the carbs are equipped with non hooded, you may need to play with main jets and jet needle shims to get the mid range lean spot corrected.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The needle jets cannot be removed under normal circumstances as they are pressed in. There are some after-market performance companies who will swap them for a price. There are two styles of needle jets on the those carbs hooded and non hooded. If the models you have are hooded then its just as easy as changing the jet needle for a 800 part. If the carbs are equipped with non hooded, you may need to play with main jets and jet needle shims to get the mid range lean spot corrected.[/b]
how do i tell if they are hooded or non hooded? there is a small almost like a hook, piece of metal that holds the needle in, that hook is held on by an allen head little bolt.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also on the side of the carbs there are adjusters for adjusting the low end, midrange? each carb has its own adjuster.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
how do i tell if they are hooded or non hooded? there is a small almost like a hook, piece of metal that holds the needle in, that hook is held on by an allen head little bolt.[/b]
The "hooded needle jet is what you referred to as the "seat". Hooded means that there is a visible shroud around the rear portion of that seat to aid vacuum signal at part to half thottle. The needle retainer "hook" holds the jet needle in place. If you take the retainer out you should see a nylon shim under the e-clip. Since there are no longer 5 grooves in the jet needles, you have to add thicker shims to enrichen 1/4 ~ 3/4 throttle mixture and decrease shim thickness to lean out the same range. Do not use steel shims as they will eventually wear out the soft aluninium needle and e-clip causing major problems. The mixture screw you refer to is to address Idle to 1/2 throttle settings and works in conjunction with the pilot jet. This type enrichens the mixture as you open it (CCW).

[attachment=39150:Mixture_screw.JPG]

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts