Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to look at one tomorrow.Will be deciding between the 02 MXZX 600 and a 01 MXZX 800.With insurance headaches lately i'm leaning towards the 600.Any input or comments would be a factor in the outcome.Will be stepping up in ride quality as my current ride is a 97 Mach 1.Would love to stay with the triple for power and fuel mileage.Maybe after buying the ZX ,transplant the triple in that chassis some how.

·
Registered
310 Posts
The 01 800 was a first year 800, so stick w/ the 600, and the 02 has got the SC10-III skid. And insurance will be MUCH cheaper for the 600. so go w/ that.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you are concerned about fuel mileage the 600 would be your choice. The 02 would have precision skis and the zx-x chassis.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Make sure that the recall was done on the 800. Went with a buddy last wek to pick up an 01 800 form a dealer and the dealers computer said the recall was done bu it wasnt ou can tell by the coolant bottle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Go with the 800, and dont swap in a triple, your wasting your time as i did it already with an s-2000 chassis, my 01mxz800 will whip on most 809's for almost a half mile before the even start to catch me. I get 13mpg with my 800 so mileage is good. I am 23 years old and pay $200 a year for insurance, here is what i did: i set up a renters policy anmd added the 800 to that policy, you can do this with most insurance companies or add it to your home owners. if the recall is not done on that 800 most dealers like mine will do this, while your at it might as well have the cylinders ported, if you are located in Lower Michigan i can get you a dealer's name and he can set you right up, my 800 stock was 132hp versu 145 now with some minor work done. Email me and i can tell you more. Dont think that by buying the "X" package you are gaining anything, i have rode the "X" and it is garbage like my Adrenaline, suspension packages stink on these sled stock and i would highly recommend an m-10 and BLT front end (as i just put all mine on). And updating ski's as 2tone800x said is as easy as dropping a few hundred for good aftermarket or precision skis and bolting them on, Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks about 50/50 so far.Thanks for the input and yes i know about the 800 recall.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I have both and we have talked via email about this.

But I wanted to add a couple things: the 600 doesnt have the power of that 800. You will want percision skiis on the 800 it is awesome with those on there. The 600 does take the bumps a bit more smoothly with the additional travel but the 800 will ride far better than your Mach 1 did. Fuel mileage is acutally close. Ski Doo made all the 02s richer from the factory so the 02 sleds didnt get as good a mileage as the 01s. I can usually get just over 120 miles out of a tank of gas on my 800.

I had a slight idle problem at first with the 800 but you just adjust the white knobs on the carbs to 1 1/2 turns out and learn to let the sled idle down before shut down.

The 02 600 idles high and take awhile to idle down also. And has a strange clunk sometimes when the clutches engage. I have r.e.r. on it though.

You really cant go wrong on these because they are both nice, there are somethings the 800 power can do better than the 600 but there are somethings the 600 rear suspension does better than the 800.

If you have any questions about these 2 sleds feel free to email me, I love talking sleds anyways.

Later

Steve

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I forgot one other thing, I like the stock clutching for trail riding better on the 600. The 800 just doesnt back shift as nice as the 600. But you can always find slightly used clutch kits cheap for these 800s that fixes all that. I found a Cudney kit for $50 and Bill Cudney tells me that the backshifting is one of the big improvements with his kits.

·
Registered
243 Posts
There's not alot of fuel millage difference between the two, insurance seems to be the issue this year with 911 etc. I have an 800, id buy the 600 today, its cheaper. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
To comment on the insurance issue, I have both sleds and if you find a good insurance company like have done its a toss up.
The cost of a years insurance for both of my sleds is just over $400 and that is after insurance went up due to the 911 crap. It was even less before that. I go through Liberty Mutual and they go by the value of the machine and dont care about CCs. My 800 is only like $10 more than my 600 per year.
Liberty Mutual goes to all the snowmobile shows around here in Michigan and promotes their snowmobile insurance. I really like them!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again MXZonly.The 02 MXZX 600 i looked at today was pretty beat up for less than a year old.The left side sway bar was snapped off just inside the bulkhead,trailing arm was pushed back at least 1 inch and split the belly pan there.Every thing was pulled back out and fixed except the sway bar has'nt been replaced yet.Also small kink in right hand trailing arm.Sweet looking sled with a stinger can,but walked away.He will replace the sway bar for me and i can have it for $6600 CDN if i still want it.Still looking as the 01 800 was sold 1 hr before i should up on my road tour this afternoon.Wasted day pretty much.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Good luck to you Ski Doo68 I know you find something out there. I have seen lots of sweet ### 01 800s go for unreal amounts here in the USA like $4500 even $4300 I paid $8500 US for mine without all the add ons so what they are going for is unreal. I couldnt even sell mine without making myself sick and giving it away. Im not about to do that, its just too good!

Later

·
Registered
678 Posts
I've also seen some pretty good beals on 02 new carry overs, I could have gotten a 02 MXZ 700 for less than I paid for my 03 500, but I really wanted the RER. They wanted $5500 OTD US for the 700, I paid $5700 OTD for my 500rer.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Skidoo68, paid $4,300 for a mint 01 800x w/electric start, reverse, precisions, 192 studs w/ 1,100 miles in April in Vt. Get a deal, they are out there. Good luck and both are great sleds BTW

·
Registered
3,817 Posts
The 6's are noice if you're fairly light. I have one but I'm 6'6'' and 265 by the time I get all the gear on and I could use more power. If you're not that heavy look at a 600 otherwise I'd go with an 800.
I should mention too that I have RER and experiance the same clunk that MXZonly had mentioned. Doesn't seem to effect the sled but makes you wonder what's goin' on. My sled won't idle down as well. This got to be very annoying but I quikly solved it. When you do stop some where just crack your choke a couple of times until the idle comes down. This works a lot better. If you just shut it off it kinda backfires and can damage your reeds.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Im glad I am not the only one with the clunk. My friend rode my sled last year and thought my chain was way too loose or something. I said no it just does that. I wonder what the heck it is?

The high idle deal sucks. On my 01 800 it did that at first but I found a technique where I can just push on my choke lever and it slighty chokes the engine and then it will idle itself down. But on the my 02 600 that doesnt work, I either flip on the choke lever or blip the throttle a few times and it will come down. It is much better to idle it down to prevent the backfires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts