Snowmobile World banner

02 Polaris 550 Fan RMK trail

4K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Motsenbocker 
#1 ·
Good afternoon all
I bought this machine with engine problems. After getting it apart the right (chain case side) piston skirt was trashed. Amazingly the cylinder looks fine. No deep scratches. there are a few dings in the bottom of the cylinder but they appear to be visual..I cant feel a thing. So Im going to take the engine out and split the case to clean and inspect the bottom end. This machine supposedly only has 168 miles..i know I cant hardly believe that either.. anyways would you reccomend I just put a oem piston back in? or replace both? The other cylinder looks fine. Im not 100% sure i need to replace the rings on the bad side with the skirt gone. So is this a steel cylinder or is the that nickel coating on it? Would I run a hone down it or not?
Thanks

#2 ·
I'd clean the cyd. with acid just incase you had some aluminum transfer, hone it a bit,unless you can see the factory honing.
New piston and rings on a new engine seems like a waste ,but if the piston was from a bad batch, was defective, you would save money in the long run.

#3 ·
Thanks, I think what happened to the skirt, I should have been more specific, It was gone..in pieces and chunks..all over the base of the cylinder, in the exhaust..actually some was in the air box. Anyways the dude I brought it from got it from his inlaws in Wyoming who had bought it new. He took it home and cleaned the tank out (old fuel) took the carbs loose and cleaned them out. He said then he got it running and rode it for quite a while (30 or 40 miles) Anyways my guess is he drooped something down the hole accidently, maybe a screw or something. I am not a small engine mechanic but have been a automotive mechanic for 35 years, and have never seen a skirt like this come apart like this one did. Anyways, do you know if this cylinder is steel or that nickaseal?
Thanks
Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.