Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have experience with the '02 SRX with DCS? Most folks I've spoken with have most of their ride time on models previous to the '02. I'm curious as to it's operation with the DCS option. Does the light come on quite often while riding? After reading several reviews about the DCS, I've sort of come to the conclusion that it was made to come on to keep the sled operating near it's prime performance groove.

The '00 SRX's were jetted the same as the '02's but some experienced burndowns. The '01's were jetted fatter, but that put them further away from their optimal performance. So, the '02's were once again jetted leaner but with the DCS to permit them to operate more efficiently (engine wise). Wouldn't this mean that having the light on would be a relatively good thing?

If some of you have experienced this, please give me your opinions. Did your light come on quite often? What did you do to extinguish it? Did it affect your performance at all? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
287 Posts
if I am right, there is a sensor in the exhaust pipe right? If the heat range in the pipe is to cold, the computer retards the timing to create more heat. once the heat is up, it advances the timing, it is supposed to flow more and get more H.P. when the temperature is right. The exhaust (from what I read) will kind of make a vacuum to pull more air and fuel through the engine. this is one reason I don't put on a triple pipe. I do a lot of trail riding through trees and stuff, with a triple pipe the heat range won't be quite right. I think if your on it constantly it should pretty much stay off. if your trail riding, it will probably come on and off as needed to keep the temperature in the pipe. I don't own one, this is just what I read for what thats worth.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ecopter
From what I understand the detonation sensor is a little probe mounted on one of the cylinders that reads the vibration of the motor. When the engine detonates the vibration pattern changes and the probe senses this and thus the light turns on. First it just flashes...if the problem persists it flashes faster and then it does the whole timing change thing and if that doesn't work it brings the motor down to 6 grand or less, automatically despite the throttle postion to keep the motor from burning down. I know a few guys with 02s and they said the light comes on every now and then but not to the extent that the motor has ever cut out to 6grand on them or even gone beyond the first flash code. Your somewhat right about running the motor at peak. The light would have to come on every now and then because if it didn't then you wouldn't be close enough to the edge. Those sleds really move if you get the skid set up for the right transfer...I see them consistantly out running the guys I ride with on their Mach Z's. There is a big difference between my 99 and their 02's.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate the replys. A few of the owners of these sleds that I've talked to say the DCS drives them nuts. I take that to mean that the light flashes more than they care. I don't want to jet it to '01 specs as that would put it right back to where the engineers at Yamaha wanted to change it from. They must have felt the '00 jetting was more in line with the sleds true potential, so they added the DCS and put the '02 to '00 specs. I don't know....this is just my take.

I was told to disconnect it but wanted to see if anyone else has experienced the light much.

Thanks again,

Jon

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
SRX700 is right. This system will soon be used on all sleds. Skidoo just put one on there 800 SDI motor.

This technology is probably the best thing to happen to a 2 stroke. Becasue of this you can save your engine from poor gas, lean jetting, air temp changes, and so on.

Its definitly somthing you want.

·
1,327 Posts
That was a great article,

I have been a fan of Kevin Cameron for years.

He has an interesting and easy way of explaining very complicated technical problems.

I have been reading his column in Cycle world since I was about 15.

He is even better in person. In my second year as a Mathematics/Computer science major at CAL-TECH, he lectured to the faculty of Mathematics and I was lucky enough to be there.

During his lectures he tends to use examples from real life experiences that he will relate to. Most math majors don't really have any interest or experience when someone starts using suspension action of a motocross bike when attempting to explain damping forces, but I was able to directly relate because I had experienced these example first had.

If you ever have the chance to hear Kevin Cameron speak, jump at it.

DP

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 2002 SRX...the light does not come on very much...the Detonation control sensor basically advances and retards timing when a knock occurs...when I first purchased the srx...it came on frequently..BUT then I tried different Gas ..I tried several....

Rugular pump gas....it came on...
Prepium gas.....It came on..but not as much
Premium gas with an Octane additive......rarley

Now I use 5:1 ratio of aviatiob Gas/Pump Gas...I never see it anymore.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
srx2002,

I'm not familiar with that additive. Where do you get that? Sorry for the short response, I have to go.

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
srx2002,

O.K., I'm back.

When the light did come on, did the performance deteriorate much, or did the light flash slowly without any noticable change?

As I asked in the above post, what was the octane additive you used to use, and explain the 5:1 stuff and where to get it...if you could please?

Is the octane additive what you buy at any automotive outlet?

By the way, how do you like the machine? Mine's a new leftover that I haven't even started yet. Just wait'n for colder weather!

Thanks, Jon

·
Registered
259 Posts
I don't understand how people can say that light drives them nuts. Its telling the truth...I doubt the SRX detonates more than other sleds the only difference is that on this machine you know when it does. So whats the difference between having the light and not having it. Either way the engine is detonating, I would prefer to know when it does.

·
Registered
3,910 Posts
I would somewhat disagree. The SRX (since it has the light and sensor) Is probably tuned to run closer to the safty line then most machines. THis is why the light does come on. However machines without this technology are set to run much safer and are not tuned right to the edge. This is why most SRX owners question themselfs and magazines when a well tuned MachZ or XCR wastes them however the Mach and XCR are running dangerously well the SRX can keep doing this saftly for as long as it want.

I applaud yamaha for using this technology. Every lake machine should come equiped with it. THis is there way of saying that we want you out riding and not in our dealers buying parts..

·
Registered
17 Posts
THe DCS lets the machine run CLOSER to the point of detonation,,,just moments before Detonation occurs this is where Maximum Horsepower is produced...if the light flashes slowely...timing is retards 3 deg. if it begins to flash more rapidlt it further to 6 degrees....revs are limited to 6000 rpm...( basically a crawl mode ) if you slack off from the throttle detonation will stop....However fine tuning your Carbs, Quality of Gasoline, Outside Temp, Air box temp, Spark plug type ( colder, hotter) they all have an affect on Detonation....the DCS lets me do that safely....and for added protection ALWAYS check your plugs.

As for the Post before this one " when a XCR or a MACHZ wastes an SRX....."

Ummm.....Last year up here in Northern Canada ( Labrador ) next to quebec in case anyone is wondering, where snowmobiling is a way of life.....Our Province hosted a Major Snowmobile race....and My SRX with a Bender clutch kit, ( and some fine Carb tuning ) WASTED an 02 Mach Z Millenium,,,as well as a polaris XCR in 1/8 of a mile, and in the 1/4.....they wer both stock...but after all I think I'm allowed a Clutch Kit, since I only have a BABY 700...as compared to an 800.

I guess that's why a major snowmobile magazine got the " 800 Killer award " in 2001

p.s: Klotz Octane, STP, any of them really, if you look at the Ingredients they will all contain ROughly the same.

I don't use it....I get better results running Aviation Fuel ( fuel for small aircraft )...unfortunatly you can't buy this....you have to know someone who can get you some.

Later fffolks

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for getting back. I'll have to wait and see how mine acts, and then experiment with octane boost.

Jon

·
Registered
26 Posts
A 00-02 SRX will beat Mach Z's and XCR's, but none will waste the other. The DCS tells you if there is detonation in the combustion chamber. Low octane and lean conditions both cause detonation. Yes 00 were jetted risky, but its better than Arctic Cat's that are 5 jets to big. The 02's can be on the edge untill it kicks it to the second level of safety which then retards the timing which of course = less performance..Im getting a 02 next week and am frickin geeked up to get it. I had a 99 SRX 700 and loved that sled, I cant imagine what I'll think of this one..By the way I have a 01.5 Renegade 800 and its almost a tie for my favorite sled ever.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts