Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy just bought a xc 800 and raced an ultra 680 and got spanked by 15 sled lengths. he was doing 85 and the ultra was doing 105 my buddy went home with his tail between his legs. i believe the xc is stock, what can he do to spank the ultra. cheap wise :withstupid:

·
Registered
348 Posts
Sounds like the Ultra is pretty well tuned, in other words, its modified with pipes if the XC8 got beat that bad. Theres no such thing as cheapwise to go and beat that Ultra, if your buddy wants to beat him, then hes going to need to do more than what he has to do, in order to beat that sled. You need cash, to be fast. WL.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I'd tell your buddy to get used to the idea of being top ended by a tripple. A good running Ultra is not going to be far off from XCR performance. You're wasting your time trying unless you want to start pouring money on the XC.

If you want to mess with the Ultra - invite him to your favorite stretch of trail some time. The rougher and tighter the better....... that's where the XC can show it's stuff. :whistling:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd tell your buddy to get used to the idea of being top ended by a tripple. A good running Ultra is not going to be far off from XCR performance. You're wasting your time trying unless you want to start pouring money on the XC.

If you want to mess with the Ultra - invite him to your favorite stretch of trail some time. The rougher and tighter the better....... that's where the XC can show it's stuff. :whistling:[/b]
thanks ill let him know he prob doesn't want to put alot of money but he said he wanted clutching done at least so let me whats the best set up for the xc know thanks

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
I'm wondering is the Ultra was that fast, or if the XC is rather slow. You say he just bought it? What kind of shape is it in? Are the clutches in good shape? Is the belt worn?
Did the 02 have exhaust valves? If so are they operating properly? The bellows could be torn, the valves could be gummed up.

There are a thousand things that could be slowing that sled down, and half a dozen that could be slowing it down alot.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm wondering is the Ultra was that fast, or if the XC is rather slow. You say he just bought it? What kind of shape is it in? Are the clutches in good shape? Is the belt worn?
Did the 02 have exhaust valves? If so are they operating properly? The bellows could be torn, the valves could be gummed up.

There are a thousand things that could be slowing that sled down, and half a dozen that could be slowing it down alot.[/b]
umm it is in good condition and the values were taking apart and clean about two weeks ago as for the belt and clutching i have no clue but he wants to clean the clutches but also set the clutches up what do u think the best wieghts and spring would be

·
Registered
87 Posts
That motor will pull more weight than stock weights. Try going to 70g weights, go to a stiffer primary spring, not much, I run a EPI yellow. Also go to a progressive helix on the secondary like a dalton P52/36 with an EPI black spring in #2. I can take the older mxz's with that setup. You should be able to take the ultra up to 80 or 90 but after that the triple has the advantage.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts

There are a thousand things that could be slowing that sled down, and half a dozen that could be slowing it down alot.[/b]
Thank you. Make sure everything is set up and properly maintained, then see how fast it is. Then you can think about upgrading. All 5 of my sleds that I bought used had to be reclutched and rejetted because previous owners are idiots. I can't count the number of stupid "mods" I've had to undo or "re-mod".

·
Registered
137 Posts
My buddy just bought a xc 800 and raced an ultra 680 and got spanked by 15 sled lengths. he was doing 85 and the ultra was doing 105 my buddy went home with his tail between his legs. i believe the xc is stock, what can he do to spank the ultra. cheap wise :withstupid:[/b]

There are so many little variables on the same sleds so Im not sure if this will work on his or not. I spent lots of time and parts to get mine the way I like it. 02 xc800. Stock.
I put a 1" track on to replace 1.25 stock track. 144 studs.
Clutching is the only thing I have worked on other than main jets which is also very important on this motor. I moslty run 480 which is down little form stock 500 and works best when below zero. I hate tinkering with it all the time and wont since i dont have exhaust temps.
Pri-EPI silver
Sec-EPI black
Helix-Hotseat 50/36S
Weights-Dalton 70g

This is the setup I have settled on. My motor would not pull a 52 helix but others do. I'm done tinkering. All this work took place over 3 lousy winters. It would be nice to just ride it this year.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
That motor will pull more weight than stock weights. Try going to 70g weights, go to a stiffer primary spring, not much, I run a EPI yellow. Also go to a progressive helix on the secondary like a dalton P52/36 with an EPI black spring in #2. I can take the older mxz's with that setup. You should be able to take the ultra up to 80 or 90 but after that the triple has the advantage.[/b]

how old is your epi black spring.i have never seen a black epi secondary on their site.??

·
Registered
63 Posts
the last ride last season i blew up an ultra that would walk all over just about any stock sled. had a hot to go 800 kit on it. about 180 horse, and was down geared quite a bit.
it was fast!

·
Registered
87 Posts
It has been a few years since I bought that spring. I looked on EPI's site and could not find the black driven spring listed. You might want to call around. They did make one. It is the PDS-5. The rates are 56/102.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts