Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to maybe get a 02 zr 800 and i was wondering if there is any problems with these sleds and what to look for. I'd also like to know what kind of fuel mileage they get and how they perform. Any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
28 Posts
the 02 ZR 800efi CC is very inpressive i bought one mid season and put 800 miles on it. the biggest complaint is the 1.25 is in no way enough traction for the 100+ ft. lbs. of torque and altough the coupled suspension makes it handle like its on rails it limits transfer to the point my friends older 600 would kill me off the line (yes the coupling is set to the minimum). i would be spinning wildly and leaving a trench behind me with the skis on the ground and he would be pulling a wheelie pulling away of course i would run him down with out any problem. I''m not studded that would help i'm sure, but i'm stretching mine to 136 with 1.5 lugs should cure the hook up problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
oh ya gas milage i only get 11mpg with me driving normal i've gone on gas conserve mod and got 14mpg. it really depends on the rider i go off trail and its been as low as 8 mpg, but then everyone in the group was guzzilin gas in the 4 feet of powder.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
I liked the one I purchased new in '02 and rode 9300 miles over the next two seasons so much that last spring I sourced out another one that only had 1000 miles on it and rode it 3300 miles so far this season.
It's been dead nuts reliable, handles great and has never got less than 11 or so mpg even when riding to the bar. Cruising it's consistantly in the 15 to 16 mpg range.
I started off on a green one but switched to black, although I prefer the look of green I do enjoy how little the black belly pans show the dirt, especially when I put on a fair bit of mileage.
Be sure it's had the recoil update and if you purchase a cross country update to a Fox separator piston (in the dial adjust shock) along with a '98 -'99 Sno Pro front lower shock mount and you'll be good to go on one of the nicest / most reliable / most fun sleds out there.

Enjoy
Rick.
:cool:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the info i'm hopefully going to look at it next weekend. I'm a little nervous about jumping to a 800 thou i think it will be fine. What do you think would be a fair offer for it he's asking $3500- 4000 and it only has 2700 miles.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Originally posted by ZR Sled Head@Mar 20 2004, 08:04 AM
has never got less than 11 or so mpg even when riding to the bar. Cruising it's consistantly in the 15 to 16 mpg range.
Rick this does sound exagerating by a bit. I ride with (2) ZR800's, and neither one has EVER gotten more than 12mpg in ANY conditions.

One guy claims to get close to 7mpg when clamped to the bar all the time off and on. Both of these sleds are tuned well, both run fast.

Another bud on a ZR900 gets even worse than them.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
mtrsprt.............It's 100% true. I would be the first guy to slam my sled if it got poor mileage, no BS here.
My first one never got much over 10-11 mpg no matter how I rode it, not very surprising as it didn't run right from brand new. It did however pick up mileage at the end of the second season when AC replaced the carbs under warranty. Turns out there was a casting flaw / porous area that was causing the problem.
The fuel mileage your reporting makes no sense as it's pretty common knowlege that the 800 twins are great on gas and the 900's are slightly better. I ride with another '02 800 and an '03 900 most of the time both of which get similar fuel mileage.
My sled is stock with an 1.25 track, Goodwin clutching and 400 main jets.

Rick.
:cool:

·
Registered
20 Posts
i also have an 02 ZR800 efi cce. These sleds do get 12 to 15 miles a gallon. That is U.S. gallons. There are one of the finest trail sleds around. It will rail around a corner and handle all the bumps you can throw at it. Plus enough power and speed for the lakes. if you are serious about buying one, shoot me an email, i am selling mine so i can have a down payment on a new truck. If you want pics, send me your email address. Ken

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I too own an 02 800 CCE. Carbed. Love this thing. I run about 10mpg sometimes up to 12. But I'm either holding it to the bar or on the brake. Never really tried to conserve fuel. Running 410 mains. Goodwin Clutch, everything else stock.
Their are two versions of the gallon. Imperial and US. The Imperial is smaller.
0.83 Imp = 1 US. So even if someone where to be using imperial in comparison then they actually are getting even better mileage.
Just my two cents.
Hey Rick
My seasons done. about 2200 miles for me this year.
Oh well. Guess I'm gonna keep her another year. Gotta replace my track though.

·
Registered
739 Posts
What updates need to be done? I have a friend who just picked one up for $4,000 with 500 miles and a bag of new studs. BTW, how long of a stud can you use in this sled? i believe it's a 1 inch track. Thanks, Butch.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Robb,
I was hoping for another ride but it looks like I'll have to be happy with just over 3000, kinda low for me but still not a bad season.
I'll be riding mine again next year as well. Whats up with needing a new track?
Rick.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts