Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm not mistaken the owners manual states that the shocks should be serviced after the first initial 200 miles.  I have about 350 miles on it now, my question is...since it is so close to the end of the season and if there is enough snow , the wife and I are takening a long weekend up north in a couple of weeks in hopes for a little late season riding.  That will probably only put a couple hundred additional miles on the sled,tops. Will the additional miles damage the shocks without being rebuilt or just lose their performance? I would like to wait till end of season to rebuild, that is when I'll pull the rear skid and install heavier springs also.  

Also, is the initial oil/gas or what ever they put into the new shocks different from when they get serviced seasonal?

thanks to all who reply

·
Registered
394 Posts
have 1066 miles on,my 02 800 half of them were mogul pounding.  Even with the old fox shocks I only rebuilt them once a season.  Basically I would change the oil wash all the parts re assembly and recharge the shock.  Appareltly the AC shocks are the same.  rebuilt my 96 shocks every season and never had to replace any parts.  Still work fine.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I put 1975 miles on my 01 zr before I serviced them.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Just wait till the end of the season also I would wait with the springs till next season because they might get weak after sitting the summer with tension on them.

·
Registered
25 Posts
just do them once a year and be on the safe side,and as far as having 1975 miles on them you must pay your chiroprator a few visits during the season.Yeah I would definately have them done after next year with the little miles on them you have now you should get next year too,depending on the riding you do

·
Registered
533 Posts
ya, 1975 is a little long, but they did last quite a long time before they started preforming poorly.  I think it was around 1800 miles when the shocks started leaking oil.

Thing is, dealer here don't rebuild shocks.  I have to order the tools and do them myself.  Now I will be rebuilding once a year.  These things are simple to do.

·
Registered
285 Posts
you should rebuild, or get them rebuilt, once a year. if you gan get the equipment yourself and do it , it really easy to do. all the rechargeable shocks from cat are shock oil and nitrogen. i am curious as to how much nitrogen pressure, and how the oil looked in the shocks with over 1000 miles on them looked. i'll put money on it that the oil looked like chocolate milk.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts