Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
Got the sled to go over and do some long over due maintence. And I noticed that when i push down on the rear of the sled. it just bottoms out. The suspension does not spring the back end up. If I pull it up by hand it returns up with no issue... I have some picts. I thinking that pict is the source of the problem.
http://gallery.mac.com/tkrutchick/100002

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
first your whole suspension really need to be greased well. as for better return you need shocks rebuilt and new torsion spring for sure. i can rebuild your shocks if you would like. shoot me a pm and i can help you out. i offer affordible rate and can get them done fast.

·
10,054 Posts
I have the same sled you do,,, I rebuild my shocks every other year. I should probably do them yearly though,,, I also replaced my springs one time and its about time to replace them again. After replacing the springs and rebuilding the shocks, mine came right back up,,, before that it did exactly what yours did. When you have your shocks rebuilt, have them done to your riding style. I have mine rebuilt a little stiffer and it made a difference over stock. Shouldnt cost anymore to have them done that way.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Have TSS rebuild your shocks and for God sakes spray down your skid with some WD when your done cleaning it. I thought I was looking at a vintage sled !

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i also always make my best attempt to get all the rust of your shocks before i ship them back to you. id say if your going this far also to prim and paint over all the rust spots (start by chipping off the rust and a little sanding helps to) but makes a big difference if you just start greasing our skid before you ride and storing it in a wamr place to get all the snow off if you can.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
ya it is amazing what greasing does

·
Registered
99 Posts
Wow! That thing needs total disassembly. Shocks definatly need rebuild but to get it to sprimg back up you'll need new springs and plastic holders. Springs are what makes it go up. Shocks just dampen rebound.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Wow! That thing needs total disassembly. Shocks definatly need rebuild but to get it to sprimg back up you'll need new springs and plastic holders. Springs are what makes it go up. Shocks just dampen rebound.[/b]
when shocks need rebuilding also it makes the spring work harder because the rebound is not there do to lose of nitrogen charge.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Look at "IMG_0457-01" The spring has eaten almost completly thru the plastic retainer. I would haveta say its time for a FULL ON suspension overhaul my friend.

I also had the same exact problem last year....and my suspension components arent worn out NEARLY that much. I had the shocks rebuilt and my sled no longer bottoms and stays down like you describe. It still does feel a bit soft though. I think new springs are in the works for this year.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, Took the skid frame out. Sent the shocks to TSS (did an awesome job BTW). Got em back. Replaced the springs with new sno pro springs. Cleaned all the bushings and re greased all zerks. Replaced Spring slides and Adjusters... Sat on the new suspension. Plopped down got off the sled and only popped up about 2 inches. Still does not return to full hight. Any Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Alright, Took the skid frame out. Sent the shocks to TSS (did an awesome job BTW). Got em back. Replaced the springs with new sno pro springs. Cleaned all the bushings and re greased all zerks. Replaced Spring slides and Adjusters... Sat on the new suspension. Plopped down got off the sled and only popped up about 2 inches. Still does not return to full hight. Any Suggestions?[/b]
ya after brand new seal they take just a bit to break in, they are a little stiff yet but trying to think here. is the suspension binding up somewhere maybe to, it should reaturn further then that. let me thing about it some.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
well to how far from full hight is it, suspension do has some sag built into them, they are not designed to come all the way back to the top all the time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Lets just say hypothetically the suspension has a travel length of 12 inches. When pushed down the full 12 inches it will only rebound about 4 inches back. I would have to lift it manually to get it to move back the other 8 inches. It's better then b4 but still not right.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Lets just say hypothetically the suspension has a travel length of 12 inches. When pushed down the full 12 inches it will only rebound about 4 inches back. I would have to lift it manually to get it to move back the other 8 inches. It's better then b4 but still not right.
Thanks[/b]
ya there is still a problem some where. if it came up to like 2 inches youd be good but 8 is a big problem. did you try putting the springs on the next higher click on the adjuster. im thinking something is creating friction though and not allowing it to move all the way back.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You should post more pics to see if its together right. Is the rear shock's front mount up above the shaft like its suppose to be? If it is together right fat boy springs always bring it up nice and give a good ride. I weigh 180lbs and have them on my sled and love em.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Looks like the back of rear shock flipped down during assembly. Move it back up and it will be fine.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
hey man all i can think of from what you got is maybe you have some bolts a little to tight to something.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I see a few things in your pics I'm not sure about. Is your shock pivot facing the right way on the bottom? and are some of your bolts like the one that goes through the links, shock and pivot too long. I see you have a normal nylock nut on it with threads to spare. It should have a special nut from cat on it thats half as thick and have almost any threads to spare. Is there a extra bolt by your upper shock mount thats just there doing nothing? Are there some wheels rubbing on shafts or is it just a trick of the camera angle, Go to this site and check the fiches it might help you. Also have you got the skid bolted to the correct holes on the tunnel to give it the propper preload to get it to rise up.
http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/frame.cg...rts/SNOWMOBILE/

http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/frame.cg...rts/SNOWMOBILE/

1 - 20 of 20 Posts