Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
10,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here we go,,, a buddy rode the sled all day in Michigan, has no problems at all. I take it the next morning, ride 4 mile to the gas station and shut it off. I got no gas as he filled it the night before. I start it back up after everyone has their gas and let it idle while I put on my helmet and jacket,,, it dies. We find out we have no fuel. Turns out the rear smart valve has sucked shut. I didnt realize that all I had to do was pull it apart and take out the white gasket and put it back together,,, so we blow into the fuel line at the fuel rail and get it to come back out. I get it to fire up and it runs about a mile down the trail and does it again. This time I decide to go get the other sled instead of putting up with this all day, so we cut the screen out of the fuel pickup and took the spring and gasket out,,,, she starts up and I run it the 5 mile back to the cabin. I had gps on the sled with me and hit 102 on the way back,,, so the sled ran FINE.
I get it home and we go out to play in the neighborhood,,, now it will not go over 6000 rpm. So I got me the new fuel pickup and get it put in there,,, I also pulled out all the fuel and put in 5 gallon of new fresh fuel, mixed with 1/3 quart of oil, and 7 ounces of fuel injector cleaner. I also go through checking compression and I have 131 on one side and 129-130 on the other. I pull the pipe and y-pipe and see that the pistons look good, no scoring at all. I also pull the power valves and they are CLEAN,,, I then pull and check the length of the power valve cables and they are in spec also. So as we put it back together, the plug boot comes out of the plug wire. We realize that it was in bad shape at the end (1 strand holding it on) so we strip it down some, get to good cable and screw the boot back on. Now time to test again
I take it out and it starts on the 3rd pull,,, still not running perfect, but a lot better than before. I let it idle for about 5 minutes then give it some throttle and it dies. I get it started again and head out to the field to make a pass. I pin the throttle and she flys,,,, climbs right up to 7700 rpm and pulls like it is new again. I then brake and turn around and bam,,,, she sounds like a Harley. Kinda like its running on one cylinder,,, check engine light is flashing and it appears to be constant. No 2 or 3 flashes then a pause,,, I run it back, shut it off and start it back up and again, she flies across the fields,,, turn it around and I get the check engine light flashing again, and sounds like its running on one cylinder. The temp by feel on the y-pipe, head, and jugs all appear that both cylinders are firing correctly,,,,

Do I have a plugged injector?? If I do, why can I get a good 1/4 mile pass before it screws up,,, Do I have a sled in limp mode for some reason?? Something to do with the throttle not returning properly and going into protect mode?? Am I having problems with the plug wires not running right??

The plugs are cardboard brown, I am using oil and I do have good compression. I am totally lost on this one. I would think that if it runs like its on one cylinder, yet both cylinders (by touch) are the same temp, that the problem would be one that is affecting BOTH cylinders and not just one. This would mean the fuel pump. But again, how can this be if the sled makes one pass holding the skis in the air for 50' (until I let off the throttle).
Thanks in advance
Brian

·
Registered
448 Posts
Sounds like you have the exact same symptoms that I had. As "Snow800" suggested to me, I'd disconnect your throttle safety switch & see what happens.

·
10,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Honestly, I cut the screen out so that I could drive that 5 mile back to the cabin and not be towed by a ski-doo with all the sled pictures that would have been taken,,,, LOL

I already replaced the smart valve (the back one),,, next time I get it back after a quick buzz, I will pull the smart valves up and see that they are both still out,,,

I do like the tss switch disconnect,,, where did you disconnect yours?? this is definetly an option to look into...

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
i was thinking the safety switch also puree. follow the wire down the bars till you find the connector. only other thing i was thinking is tee a fuel guage in the line coming out of the tank and see if your losing pressure when it starts to act up.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Honestly, I cut the screen out so that I could drive that 5 mile back to the cabin and not be towed by a ski-doo with all the sled pictures that would have been taken,,,, LOL[/b]
:lmao: :lmao:

Here is how they tried to fix it with a umm, well it is a family site, I can't really say how. :whistling: [attachment=33136:KITTY_DOWN.jpg]

Brian, I sincerely hope your sled is fixed soon... This bad luck could not have happend to a nicer guy. ! I mean that !

Snow4

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
What is Mike dooing to your sled???? I think I see the sled smiling.......lol[/b]
:lmao: :lmao: Sorry Puree but that made me about spit my diet dew on the monitor.

Snow4

·
10,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow,,, feel the love in here,,,
I think I know whats wrong with it,,, initially, I had 2 problems and that wasnt making any of the symptoms come up right. We got the first one fixed today, and now the symptoms are falling right in place. Problem is, if the servo motor is shot, its gonna get expensive,,, if its simply a valve sticking (cant see that being it as we just had them out last week), I will have it running again tommorrow,,,,
gonna play with it some in the morning before that big game and hopefully I will have it running again,,,, keep your fingers crossed and your diet dew down,,,
Brian

1 - 10 of 10 Posts