Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning on Snow checking a 03 SKS 800 pretty soon. Any body have any opinions on how this sled will compare to the Renegade. I ride with an 02 XC 700 and it demolishes my Cat. Also, does Polaris have any durability or reliability issues I should know about. My new Cat has left me on the tow rope too many times this year so I,m lookin at switchin brands.  

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
snow monkey,
 in my area here mostly polaris, then a few cats and then me with two doo's. you could make a great looking ice cream sundea with that combination of colours in that order. the polaris guys have their irks same as anything else like the pto on the triples and the 2000 700 xc is a bit of a mut and that is all i know. i have said this before and that is the ski-doo from my experience is a racer banging type sled and the polaris a lets go on a 500 mile trip family sled. i can't speak for the other two although i have my opinions, but i am glad for what i see as a difference for maybe someday a pol might come to my house.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
The SKS is a good looking sled........But I think that they should have left it a 136 instead of a 144.. If you were concerned about getting beat on your cat snow monkey you will be disapointed trying to pull all of that track. I know from my Summit800 that it will fall off at 500 feet and your friends will really be in front.......your cat800 will beat the SKS easily.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, but the SKS might run properly. Right now I'm lookin for a machine thats gonna be reliable and still have some performance. I have lost all confidence in my Cat and don't even want to ride it for the fact that something will quit on it! I have a bad taste in my mouth from Arctic Cat and their dealers which is forcing a change in machines. Getting beat don't concern me too much, due to the fact I've been in the back all year on my cat!

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I still think that 144" is too long for the terrain that you will be riding.

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
monkey, if you aren't going to be riding in the mountains there is no need for a 144" track.  136" would be MORE than enough for trail riding a busting powder off trail.  I also wouldn't recommend anything over a 1.25 or 1.5 lug unless you are using it stricly for mountain riding.  Your call though...

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
I have had three polaris sleds before my MXZ and they were all awsome, 93 500 indy, 94 XLT, and 01 600 edge X and i Sh*t hauled all three of em and they could take what i gave em especially the edge and i had an 1.25 on that and it was great, awsome holeshots at the track. as a matter of fact it would take my mxz out of the hole most of time but would become just another victim after about 30 or 40 ft.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I too think they should have left it as a 136 inch track . The SKS was a nice trail/powder sled but I am afraid now that most people woun't like the 144 inch track or ever even need it . For some reason Polaris always seems to miss the boat with their SkS models. The 700 SKS has been about 3 years behind in tecnology for the last few years and now they make these weird changes. What does concern me is the track rails, take a good look at them before you order one, IMO they are built too thin and weak to take take the punishment that they will see especially on a 144 inch track. The SKS's were notorius for breaking rails even when they were only 133.5 inches . If it was me I would be ordering a Renegade 800. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well I ride an 98 xc 700 and have 5000 miles on it and have never been towed home once! My budy was the same way on his 99 670 HO till he went to cat because he couldn't keep up on the lake. Now riding nothing because he blew up his new '00 cat on his first ride then went with a '99 800 zrt and has blown it up twice and now has to get all three jugs and pistions replaced I'm sure hes kicking his ### for ever going to cat. Hes told me hes trying Polaris next for sure. This didn't help you out much but I thought I would just share that with you. Hope your cat takes you home.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Snow Monkey, Ive been riding Polaris since I started riding in 1972. The main reason has been the engine reliability. They always started. I won't go through all my models usually I change at about 5,000 miles which is typically every other year. The Polaris' I've had trouble with are the ones I start dinking around with the engines. If I run them like they come from the factory they have been reliable. Occasionally I had some that ran fat or had a bog.

I've dinked with this 2001 800xc sp (875 big bore, pipes, clutching.) because it had a mid range flat spot. I was in Yellow Stone the first week of Feb and could not get that sled to perform. (That's why I started this story) I rented two 2002 700 RMK's and and they were awesome. I don't know if they were 144" or not. I have a good friend that has a 2002 700 SKS and he had the M-10 put under it (After market by the dealer) His 99 700 SKS walks all over his 2002. But he will also swear by Poalaris reliability. He is selling his 2002.

I've owned 3 -SKS and 2- touring. Down here in flat country I've gone back to the 121" but with 1.25 lugs.

They also tell me that the RMK engine puts out more horse than the SKS. I don't know this to be true or not.  Good Luck the polars won't make you walk back.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Snowmonkey, just come back to the forum from whence you came...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well Jim, Like I have said, it has been a number of things that has put me off arctic cat. Dealer service, parts availability, and their ability to play stupid when it comes to probs. I grew up on Arctic Cat and have owned three of them myself. I am still finding it hard to leave Cat but want to check my options on other brands. I don't want the hassles I had this year, next year. I know that every brand can have their probs and we are not all gauranteed a perfect machine when we buy, but I also expect decent service and the fact that they can acknowledge it when they have a problem with the machine.  

·
Registered
14 Posts
Snow Monkey your the man.....
Don't listen to Jim. He's from Ill. Ha.Ha.

No really, I have Nine close friends that have Arctic Cat, and there isn't one that hasn't had problems. Im sure it dosn't help the dealer is new they all bought from and dosn't know anything about sleds. ('98,'99,'01, sleds.)

I have a stock 500 SxR and piped triple 700 SxR. (yamaha).

One of my good friends 700 edge X and my 700 will outrun, another friends new '02 800 Arctic Cat. All with 1.25 x 121 tracks.

So what I am saying unless you live in the mountains I would recommend the shorter track...Its quicker and lighter.

Later.

Last edited by Rocketman at April 05, 2002, 10:59pm

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I was hoping to see some comments about the suspension. Someone said something about the fact that it was supposed to be a cross between the Extra-12 and the M-10? Anyone had a chance to ride this, or has this suspension been around for a while? Never had a long track, but I am considering one now for trail use. SKS would be my most likely bet from what I've seen. It will definetly be a Polaris. How much difference should I expect in the twisties?

AL

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Long tracks are a better ride than short tracks. Its all about traction and if you are not pushing the snow then you are not moving. You will lose a bit on top end but the race is over at 1000 feet anyway. I think the 144 is a bit long but its better than a 121 if you like to blast tru fields off trail. As for the twisties I never noticed a difference on the long track once you ride one you will know how to handle it and its a way more forgiving ride. As for snowextreme you shouldnt tell lies about your sled cause my ZR900 long track will make you and your Yammaha look real stupid real fast. ZR900=SRX killer.....By more sled lengths than you can count...FACT

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm lookin at a long track for the smoother ride and the fact that I am a bigger guy it also helps carry the weight a little better than a 121" and gives a nicer ride. I rode a XCR 800 with a 136" and the difference in ride compared to my ZR was very noticable. The rears were setup as stiff as they would go on both machines cause we are both big guys and there was a substantial difference in some aspects of ride quality. I liked it. The rear susp. is an uncoupled version similiar to the RmK and has the lightweight front end on it. Weight #'s 493 dry on the 800.  

·
Registered
38 Posts
Did you make a decision yet?

I did find out the RMK have a few more HP one guy says 4 the other says 2. Reason being they donot have the compression relief hole in the pistons.

I have a friend in northern Wisc. gets a new sled every year. Has a 600 X  xc/sp with the 800 RMK engine 121 " track with 1.25 lugs. I saw it this last weekend and the odometer had 368 miles. That's hundred. He is asking $6,000.00 U.S.
If I didn't have an 01 and an 02 I'd be considering this. It is red with the yellow graphics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I could be wrong, but the way I saw Polaris's 2003 sled line up catalog, you still can get the 136" track on the SKS. Its standard with 144" but an option with anything else. I'll check it out again when I get a chance.

·
Registered
310 Posts
i agree, they should have stayed with the 136" track.  the move to the 144" was STUPID.  they already have the RMK with a 144" track.  they have never made the right decision with the SKS.  last year it was just a plain piece of ####, now this year it has a track long enough to reach the #### moon.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts