Snowmobile World banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
The Cat engineers are saying no and the racers are saying yes. I know that gls (Greg Spaulding posted in another forum that the 03 snopros will be using the conventional clutch,jackshaft,chaincase config with some clutch recalibrations. Also it is reported the brake rotor will be back on top on the jackshaft. This was because of many reported failures due to warped rotors and excessive brake pad wear. The new 03 racers will not be trailable at all because of the removal of heat exchangers for lighter weight just to mention one. Cat is putting all eforts towards snox leaving the lake racers and cross country racer sitting on the side lines watching.

·
Registered
3 Posts
SnoRat,
Can you explain why they would remove the heat exchangers?
You need the heat exchangers to cool your water for the motor. I dont see why they would remove them anyways the weight isn't much. Even if they did remove them I think they better have some parts lined up for burn downs. Time will tell what they will do.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
They claim that for snowcross you don't need all of the heat exchangers. They took off one of them to reduce the weight of the exchanger and the coolant that would be in it.They are gearing these sleds for snocross only. I heard they will have a kit out for the lake racers and cross country racers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't know why they would make a kit for the 440 cause there really is no more lake races or x-c races.  There is talk of a new x-c circuit starting but it will be a 500cc pro class.   But then again I don't know why they would take away any more heat exchangers, they already had a problem with some overheating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I can see some what of the point, but my self the more heat exchangers (meaning what comes stock now) is great. But removing  the heat exchangers ( just one) would not lower the weight that much. the amount of coolant and the heat exchanger would probally be less than 5 pounds  which in  most cases to me and other people 5 pounds is not that much.  if they were so worried about the amount of weight they keep all the heat exchangers were they are but make them smaller as in the surface area.But like i said time will tell and if they do something like this there probally be a kit for the lake racer and x country racer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts