Snowmobile World banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a 03 ZL 600 EFI. My sled seem's to run fine at lower speed's and up to half throtle after half there is no more power,make's noise but won't go any faster. I have been haveing to clean my APV's like every 300 mile's, this time I cleaned ran good for about 100 mile's,tryed trail side cleaning after started looseing power but didn't help. Put new plug's in and that didn't do much. Now from ideal to wide open the engine seem's to have a miss/viberation. When your rideing at any speed the engine isn't running smoth,it seem's like miss/shurdering. This is the kind of feeling when a carb's are WAY out of sync or you have a fouled plug on a tripple. Now my sed would run 100+ mph up till the middle of last ninght,it seemed to progressily get worse and now it's a whole 80 mph wide open on a icey road. Ever since I bought this sled the power seem's to have been eratic and come and go. If I let my sled sit and cool off for a little bit and restart sled power seem's to be much better but quickly seem's to go away,I have checked and sled isn't over heating. I was wondering if the sled could be in limp mode. THE other issue that happened last night is my gas milage has gone to hell,like cut in half. My budy had my other sled out with me and they both use about the same amount of fuel untill last night,I used more than twice what he did and he could ride faster(skidoo 503 fan) this just isn't right. PLEASE HELP,I am haveing nothing but problem's my this Cat and don't know what to do.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have done some more testing/diag....not fixed but here's what is going on. I filled up my gas tank and was upset to find out I used 11 gallon's in 98 mile's, I'm sure this isn't right. I cleaded my APV's again,GOOD and that did nothing. I checked the L.E.D(check engine light)on the back of ECU and the light isn't on,check after sereral good run's. I moved on to air box iced up / pluged.....nothing found. I checked my reed's and no broken or "hanging open" pedal's. Put air box/ECU back together. I tryed pulling #1 plug(pto side) wire off at ideal engine would run(like on 1 cyclinder) moved on to #2 plug wire(mag side) engine would die right out....seem's wrong. Installed new plug's and same thing. I swaped #1 and #2 plug wire retested....Now it would run on each cyclinder. I road tested but didn't seem like any change in runablity. swaped #1 and #2 wire's back,would die with #2 plug wire off,after a couple of more swap's it started to run with plug wire's in on any cyclinder,OK bad plug wire. Swaped out diffrent coil/plug wire's and sled run's the same.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A budy came over to help and had a idea. He thought it might be clutch or belt issue. I installed a new belt seemed a little better and got about 200 rpm more wide open. Now with new belt I now turn 8200 rpm wide open on icey road. What should my sled do for RPM's wide open ???? Looked a little more at clutch's but can't find any thing. Anather friend showed up and said clutch issue,his 96 Polaris XLT had same sort of problem,engine reved but power transfer was eratic and engine couldn't smoth out in power band,he swaped out secondary and it fixed his problem. I can't see what could be wrong in secondary. However my sled does seem to rev alot with out any real power incress at slower speed's,like rideing to clutch on a car. When cruseing and you go to speed up,you can rev engine(like 1000-2000 rpm) with out going any faster. when cruseing 55 does 5500 rpm,rev it up a little and speed stay's the same you have to rev to about 7500 rpm to start going faster. Does any of this make sence,could I have a clutch problem and not a engine problem. My sled has about 1700 mile's on it. PLEASE HELP !!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts