Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I chequed my 04 800 renegade compression an one was 120 the other 110 is this good bad what is the stock compression ?

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
I chequed my 04 800 renegade compression an one was 120 the other 110 is this good bad what is the stock compression ?[/b]
anything more then 5 psi difference is a bad thing. Testers are inconclusive for proper PSI unless it is a good one, but when they say 10 psi difference it is normally not a good thing

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Seems to me when the son had his 04 MXZX 800HO compression was 145-150psi.
Make sure you double check your readings with another compression tester before jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I chequed my 04 800 renegade compression an one was 120 the other 110 is this good bad what is the stock compression ?[/b]
depends did you give equal pulls to each cylinder, that could be the differance of 1 missed pull,Compression test is alright ,if its running fine I wouldent give it a second thought,if you wanna check your top end do a Leak down test, much more accurate then a compression test,almost any local auto parts store can get you a leak down tester theres around 60 bucks

·
Registered
852 Posts
i agree with cory. its gonna be the off season soon, if a second gauge yeilds similar results i absoulutly would tear it down though.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
i agree with cory. its gonna be the off season soon, if a second gauge yeilds similar results i absoulutly would tear it down though.[/b]
If your readings are accurate it's a warning, absolutely take it down before a piston takes out the jug or worse a crank.

·
Registered
1 Posts
your rings are likely toast, but the best way to do it is take a reading on a cold engine, then run it wfo until motor is fully warmed up, then take another reading, compression should not drop more than 10 lbs at the very most.

·
Registered
52 Posts
i'd defnately check and recheck a few times with a few different testers. don't wanna cause yourself more work and money than needed

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
5 pulls each cylinder with the throttle wide open and the DESS key in your pocket should yeild 145-150psi. You need 2 guages to verify compression or one that you know forsure is right. If you are down that low, the rings are gone and maybe a few scratches in the nikasil too. This is common for the series III 800's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts