Snowmobile World banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Friend is looking at buying an 04 800 XC. He's wondering about the motor, specifically are there any issues with this motor in its' stock form? Also how is the top speed?

He says he has heard that 700's will beat it. Seller of sled says that the only 700 that will go by it is a Dragon.

Let's hear what you have to say.

·
Registered
19 Posts
well sure there are some 700's that will go by it....like an f7 or an srx but im sure its faster than almost all of the other 700's...depends on how they are tuned and traction and what not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Friend is looking at buying an 04 800 XC. He's wondering about the motor, specifically are there any issues with this motor in its' stock form? Also how is the top speed?

He says he has heard that 700's will beat it. Seller of sled says that the only 700 that will go by it is a Dragon.

Let's hear what you have to say.[/b]
If you dont expierience crank or pto problems you will be very lucky.Read the post on snowest.com theres a post by Indydan (knows more about polaris engines than polaris does)Its in the performance section on page 5 by indydan.I wouldnt take one for free after reading this

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
If you dont expierience crank or pto problems you will be very lucky.Read the post on snowest.com theres a post by Indydan (knows more about polaris engines than polaris does)Its in the performance section on page 5 by indydan.I wouldnt take one for free after reading this[/b]
Then you'd be missing out on a great deal.

Yes, there are crank issues, on the PTO side, but there is an update that helps alot. It's a double wide bearing.

Drive them hard in the stock form and the crank will break on the PTO side. I put 7000 miles on mine though, before having an issue. I think most high performance two strokes are likely to have an issue by then.

As for 700's beating it. AN F-7 in a drag race, but the 800 is a torquer, and a totally differnt thing to ride. It's like having a big-block V-8 in your car. Very satisfying.

The Dragon will beat it too, but you can't buy a Dragon for the price that XC will cost.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
You need to realize IndyDan works with nothing but problem motors. For every one he sees, I'm sure there are several hundred (thousand?) he does not. You hear about the problem motors. Guys don't write in about how great theirs are running. When was the last time you read from somebody like that? Not trying to take anything away from Dan, as I have nothing but respect for his opinion.

With that said, IMHO after owning 2 ('01,'02) for the last several years, even after breaking one of them, I think it's a great motor and would not hesitate to buy another. Lesson learned from broken motor, after a ton of research, including a talk with Dan, is the clutch is likely the biggest deal in keeping that motor together. It must be kept in balance and maintained regularly. To get one of Dan's cranks, you must send him your clutch for balancing.

My crank broke because of a freak incident regarding a piece of a blown belt becoming lodged behind the ring gear for the electric start...... There was only one belt blown on that sled, and there was a several thousand mile timespan between that incident, and the crank actually breaking. Likely not just a coincidence.

Any kind of regular maintenance that would include removing the clutch for maintenance would have revealed it.

I say, if your buddy finds a good deal, tell him to buy it. It's never going to be much of a lake racer, but it's terrific on the trails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Then you'd be missing out on a great deal.

Yes, there are crank issues, on the PTO side, but there is an update that helps alot. It's a double wide bearing.

Drive them hard in the stock form and the crank will break on the PTO side. I put 7000 miles on mine though, before having an issue. I think most high performance two strokes are likely to have an issue by then.

As for 700's beating it. AN F-7 in a drag race, but the 800 is a torquer, and a totally differnt thing to ride. It's like having a big-block V-8 in your car. Very satisfying.

The Dragon will beat it too, but you can't buy a Dragon for the price that XC will cost.[/b]
The problem is not with the bearings,even the double wide bearings will seize if the crank case bores are out of speck.And thats what the problem is.Read indydans complete post and you will see.This isnt an issue with ALL crank cases.But i wouldnt take a chance,not for those kinds of $s

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I don't get it. I don't understand how somebody could read about the POTENTIAL for a problem to occur, and then condemn an entire production run of this motor because of it. THEN this person gets on multiple forums, and broadcasts this opinion publicly.

IMHO, Dan's words are being twisted to give a false sense for concern where there should be none. Don't get me wrong. Dan is an expert (not to mention a great guy to speak with). His articles refer to the potential for several different crank related problems to occur. This is not the same as saying there is a 1 in 10 chance, or even a 1 in 100 chance that you will ever experience one of these problems. BUT IF YOU DO, and he goes on to explain the details of each. He's saying he has seen it occur and gives his expert explanation on what he thinks is happening. We're talking about a nationally known crank rebuilder. Of course he's seen problems. That's how he makes a living. He is NOT SAYING that all, or even most 800 Poo engines will have this problem. He's trying to pass on information regarding these failures that has previously not been available. As in Poo saying "there is no problem".

Too many times a man like Dan will take his experience with him into retirement. IMO, the big deal with his recent articles, what everyone should be impressed with, is Dan is revealing, teaching others, some of what he's learned. Nothing more. -Al

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
i am putting e-start on my 02 800 xc this season.i thought before i did this i would send the clutch out for balancing as per suggestions on here.i called slp and had a talk with the machine shop.i was told that i was probably not going to accomplish much unless i had the crank torn down.at least the pto end.they said that the crank pin would more that likely be bad or loose and the crank would need rebuilding.he said that only about 1 out of 20 that come in are o.k.also that the case should be line honed for straightness as they arent from the factory.then they could do the tough boy bearing kit.i called another crank shop and they said that they wont touch polaris 700 and 800 anymore due to complications.i am having a tough time justifying $800.00 on a 02 crank.???????????

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I've never heard of a crank bearing seizing, on any motor, ever.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an 800 to a friend.[/b]

my 02 xc 600 seized on the mag end.3800 miles.i t5hink the seal sucked air.from 80 to 0 in 4.6 seconds.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Personaly, I would send the clutch out and have it balanced. If you are going to have the crank looked at too, I'd read everthing Dan has written lately, then get in touch with him prior to doing anything. He really is a great guy to talk with, and there'll be no unnecessary work or guesses made in his shop.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Personaly, I would send the clutch out and have it balanced. If you are going to have the crank looked at too, I'd read everthing Dan has written lately, then get in touch with him prior to doing anything. He really is a great guy to talk with, and there'll be no unnecessary work or guesses made in his shop.[/b]

where would you send your clutch fo balancing.does dan have a shop web site to contac him.?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
xltier, you have a PM

1 - 15 of 15 Posts