Snowmobile World banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing handelbars on a 05 rev. Dealer says you need to replace the handwarmers also.
Does anybody have a tip for getting handwarmers off ? I really don't want to blow 70.00 on something that works fine,if I can avoid it. Thanks

·
Registered
181 Posts
Just latch on and start twistin,heard hair drier heat helps too.
getting wire connect pins out of socket is a pain in the ukno.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yup, no need to replace them. Just heat them up with a hair dryer for a few minutes, and then find and open end wrench that fits over the handle bar and place it next to the inside of the grip and carefully hit it with a hammer to remove the grip from the handle bar. I've done it this way on 2 different sleds and it worked fine....it's actually the way the shop manual tell you to do it. :wink:

·
Registered
11,658 Posts
after whatever way you get the grips off start the sled, then put the warmers on high and you'll see how they way peel away from the glue. before installing them on new bars clean the old glue off of them.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
I replaced my handle bars with a riser kit and new grips came with the kit...never used them. I carefully removed the terminals from the plastic separator using a small paper clip then removed all the tie wraps that held the vinyl conduit to the bars, warmed the conduit with a hair dryer. pulled the wires through and then attached a 12 volt battery to the hand warmer wires for about 5 minutes and slowly twisted the grips back and forth. They came unglued and were off in no time ..undamaged. Clean up the new bars with some alcohol and reinstall with a small bead of Seal All and slide the grips on quickly.

·
Registered
802 Posts
after whatever way you get the grips off start the sled, then put the warmers on high and you'll see how they way peel away from the glue. before installing them on new bars clean the old glue off of them.[/b]

I replaced my handle bars with a riser kit and new grips came with the kit...never used them. I carefully removed the terminals from the plastic separator using a small paper clip then removed all the tie wraps that held the vinyl conduit to the bars, warmed the conduit with a hair dryer. pulled the wires through and then attached a 12 volt battery to the hand warmer wires for about 5 minutes and slowly twisted the grips back and forth. They came unglued and were off in no time ..undamaged. Clean up the new bars with some alcohol and reinstall with a small bead of Seal All and slide the grips on quickly.[/b]
You guys are confusing me.... :crazy: ....the REV's grips/handwarmers are one piece (atleast mine is), unlike the older sleds that had a separate grip and hand warmer. There is no need to separate anything...just disconnect the wire harness from the grips to where ther plug in to the main harness, warm them up with a hair dryer and carefully tap them off with a wrench and a hammer. Then to put back on, just warm them up again with a hair dryer and wipe the handle bar down with alcohol and gently tap them back on with a rubber malet....no need for any type of glue or silcone to keep them on.

The hardest part will be getting the throttle cable out of the throttle housing so that you can slide the housing off since it is connect to the grip by the wires for the hand warmer.

·
Registered
2,782 Posts
You guys are confusing me.... :crazy: ....the REV's grips/handwarmers are one piece (atleast mine is), unlike the older sleds that had a separate grip and hand warmer. There is no need to separate anything...just disconnect the wire harness from the grips to where ther plug in to the main harness, warm them up with a hair dryer and carefully tap them off with a wrench and a hammer. Then to put back on, just warm them up again with a hair dryer and wipe the handle bar down with alcohol and gently tap them back on with a rubber malet....no need for any type of glue or silcone to keep them on.

The hardest part will be getting the throttle cable out of the throttle housing so that you can slide the housing off since it is connect to the grip by the wires for the hand warmer.[/b]
Matt,

What I meant concerning wire separator was the plastic plug the terminals lock into...I guess the "layman's" terms were too simplified. Yes the hand grips and elements are one piece and yes you can push them off the bar with a correctly sized wrench. I have never had to use such methods, The many I have replaced come off with heat and twisting.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Matt,

What I meant concerning wire separator was the plastic plug the terminals lock into...I guess the "layman's" terms were too simplified. Yes the hand grips and elements are one piece and yes you can push them off the bar with a correctly sized wrench. I have never had to use such methods, The many I have replaced come off with heat and twisting.[/b]
Gotcha... :wink:

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys. SWRules

1 - 10 of 10 Posts