Registered
4,869 Posts
some catch on fire

or melt belly pan near exhaust exit

new fuel delivery program for 08

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The 800 is much more problematic than the 1000 as far as the fuel problems. Supposedly (at least according to my resource) Cat is supposed to update all 07s to the 08 fuel map spec's.

The 1000 is a good running machine, but quite honestly, has yet to proove itself to be the powerhousr the 700 efi and the 800/900 big blocks were. They run fine, just are VERY conservative fromthe factory. Some serious fuel tuning and clutching is needed to wake them up. Not really engine mods or anything, they just come with conservative timing and clutching calibrations.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The melting, fire, and exhaust heat problems were limited to the 800. Like SW editor said they were set up really conservative from the factory and didn't turn to many heads in stock form but its really easy to wake them up. Talked to a Cat rep and they said there was alot of potential in both engines but couldn't tap into it and meet EPA regs. Even in stock form they are the lightest, and most agile in there HP class.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I personally know of (2) 1000 cats that have had flame out issues similar of the 800, and one of them owns the local Cat dealership. Cat was able to get his updated right away no problem, the 800s are still fire demons though.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I personally know of (2) 1000 cats that have had flame out issues similar of the 800, and one of them owns the local Cat dealership. Cat was able to get his updated right away no problem, the 800s are still fire demons though.[/b]
SW was that before or after the ECU update on the 1000s that came out farely early on.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
It was both before and after. Well late Feb was the last time I saw the 1000 flare up, the 800 are a long ways from there.

Tell ya what, it is interesting to see an engine that is engineered to run at 1450 Deg F. on Egts. We have had EGTs on two 800 CF and one 1000 F-Series and they run a constant 1400+ deg.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I think they have them so hot to burn as much coming through the system as possible for EPA reasons. I wonder how much HP the engines would have made if they could have tuned them for HP alone and not worried about the EPA.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
The timing is silly retarded. As of thus far, there is no way to get away from this. We have messed around with un-hooking the knock sensor and temps go down some but the timing in the ECU is not allowed to advance significantly.

I think the way to go on either the 8 or 10 would be to try and retrofit back to a F7 ignition system and ECU and I think we would be talking here.

The 800 is mearly a step over for power when compared to the 700, but passes EPA.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts