Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being new to SkiDoo and from the factory -
Q1: Are all Gades / Doos "heavy" on the front end - in terms of steering - it feels very tight, like all weight is on skiis instead of a balance between track and skiis?
Q2: My straps have all kinds of slack when sitting on the floor in a neutral position - is this normal? Only when the back end is in the air and fully extended do the straps get tight.
Q3: The manual says to increase center spring preload when steering is heavy - this seems to do nothing - are there stiffer center springs available?
-Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
It takes some time in set-up to get you ride set up for your weight and riding style. If it feels heavy in the front, there are a few different adjustments that can be made.

It would help us to help you if we knew your weight and riding style.

To make the front feel lighter, you can...1) take some spring pressure off the front skis, 2)put more spring pressure on the center shock, 3) click down on the rear torsion spring adjusting cam. There are other springs available for the center shock if you need a stronger spring there. The center shock may also be low on gas pressure. (many are low right from the factory) Pressure should be near 300 pounds. Most from the factory are closer to 200 PSI.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks idooski-
Concerning a heavy front end-
I appreciate your reply. For background info, I'm at 165lbs - and riding style is moderate to aggressive. 50% trails / 50% fresh - not many steep slopes, although there are some good ones. I've been thru the REV manual, and it confirms all you suggested - front @ lowest preload, center @ highest preload, rear @ #1 position. This leads me to believe - either this is Skidoo engineering I'm not familair with or like you replied - the center shock is low on pressure (which I wouldn't have a clue on how to determine - or precisely the effects.) All that said, there doesn't seem to be much rebound to the rear suspension either - on the plus side, I haven't bottomed out yet. Additionally, on the trails/hardpack steering is reasonable - vs- off trail when steering is heavy - can feel everything in the arms and shoulders. With a rider, steering improves dramatically - which makes sense. 12" +/- white stuff coming in next 24hrs - more to experiment with. May sound like talking to dealer/other Doo's about this?
-Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
You will never find the 'one' setup that is going to make you completely happy on and off trail. You will have to compromise somewhere.

Did this sled have any miles on it when you got it or is it a 'crate machine' for you? My suggestion is to remove the rear shocks and have them both rebuilt and charged to 300 pounds. The cost is usually around $25 each. Make sure that your rebuilder uses a good oil like Fox or Amsoil (preferred). That way the shocks are eliminated from the problem side of things. I think that factory Doo shocks should be rebuilt after the first ride of the year anyway. The oil that they use is JUNK.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting-
No miles on sled when purchased - it was a left over '07 crate machine. I'm sensing the one setup no good idea, although the Renegade is advertised as on and off versatile - just thought I'd gain some forum insight - and I have! Of course my next question is - where could one find the recommended shock pressure data - to use as a negotiating point with my dealer? Not that I have a problem with just getting it done. The '10 hour inspection' is due soon, I'll look into things from that angle too. BTW, the recent northeaster monster storm in our region produced less than 4".
-Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,122 Posts
Hey..I wasn't trying to start trouble with your dealer. If it's a crate sled, then you could just take the shocks to a rebuilder and have them bump the pressure to 300 PSI (which BTW, is the recommended pressure at which to pull the needle). It usually will only cost about $5 - $7 each to add pressure. It is probably not something that your dealer will do on a new one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No problems on the dealer end of things - just trying to get this figured out and enjoy some riding with a setup I'm happy with. Maybe nothing is wrong, and its just the way they are engineered - I don't know. But others who have been on it, feel the front ski pressure is way too heavy also. We'll get it figured out eventually.
-Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Brand new sled - I've put 50 miles on it. Current settings are: front spring skiis @ lowest preload, center spring @ highest preload, rear torsion at lowest, straps have plenty of slack, and couplers I haven't touched from factory setting = still heavy pressure on front skiis typically at lower speeds in the fresh. I can barely tell the difference between center spring lowest to highest preload. I'm thinking a stiffer center spring? But I've also read not to change a thing until you have around 500 miles on a new one? Great sled and I can deal with it, but there's no way it is close to balanced - all pressure is on the skiis and the tip of rear end - nothing on the front of the track.
-Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts