Snowmobile World banner

08 700 Rmk V. 08 Dragon

3K views 15 replies 4 participants last post by  timespentsearching 
#1 ·
Just looking at the new models again and am wondering why one would pay msrp $700.00 more for an 08 700 dragon 155 than the 08 RMK 700 155. I compared the specs on the site and unless I'm missing something that extra $700 gets you WE airs, red paint and advertised 5 lbs less (where?)--Not worth it in my book. Looks like the RMK is a better deal now that its got the new motor. Thoughts?

#2 ·
I haven't looked closely at the specs, but $700 goes pretty quick upgrading shocks. Alot of today's high-end shocks are worth 7-800 bucks a piece. Well, I should say they're priced at $7-800. Whether they're worth anywhere near that is up for serious debate.

#3 ·
No doubt the WE's are the diference in price. Just wondering, are hi performance shocks that big a deal in the mountains? Only been out west riding twice, but I can't see the need, low weight and big hp yes, but big bump shocks? I have to wonder.

#4 ·
No doubt the WE's are the diference in price. Just wondering, are hi performance shocks that big a deal in the mountains? Only been out west riding twice, but I can't see the need, low weight and big hp yes, but big bump shocks? I have to wonder.[/b]
You're quite right, in big powder you don't need big bump shocks. That's why the RMK Dragon and the regualr Dragon had very different shocks. The RMK Dragon's W.E's are more about weight savings then soaking up the big stuff.

#5 ·
If you were buying the shocks outright then maybe but the actual amount to figure would be the diff between the RMK 's Fox's and the WE's and that could not be $700 or anywhere near it. I paid a comparatively pretty hefty premium for the "uniqueness" of my 07 dragon RMK which at the time was the only model carrying the 700 140 hp and now they put it into an RMK for hundreds less with the same set up and a better track--go figure--but IF people look at what I've pointed out the 700 Dragon may be a poor seller at least in 155 trim. The 800 yeah people will buy that for the extra hp and pay for the same "uniqueness" we paid last year. Now watch the 800 RMK appear later and there you go. :bash:

#6 ·
as new said it is the shocks. 700 bucks i preety cheat for hte upgrade really then you go from 100 or less dollor shocks to one 400+ a piece. for me it would be worth it because of how i ride for for others in make no sense to get the upgrade. the riser block on the dragons is also higher then the regular RMK's

#7 ·
Not really. The RMK comes with the rydeFX which are about $700.00 for fronts and both rears. The WE airs are about $1000.00 for the same. For 08 both the RMK and the Dragon have 3.75" risers so even that is the same. Still looking for that extra $400.00--almost buy a pipe with that saved.

#8 ·
sorry you are right about the riser it the regular iq and the dragon that they are different, but as for the shocks. the ryde fx on the rmk are not very expensive shocks. they are sealed none rebuildable none adjustable (expend the rear rear) shocks, they just are not 700 bucks. but yes the we air shocks are a little cheaper, but needle shocks are expensive. you can get one up to 600 bucks from john at we ifyou want

#9 ·
I looked at a few sites before I posted on the replacement price of both types of shocks. The rydefx/afx that are slated for the new RMK are generally $349 and change (may be some slightly cheaper sites) for the fronts and same for the rear. The WE's are $600 and $400. Wahl and Carver list rebuild kits for the rydefx so it is rebuildable at least from what I can see. Where are you seeing that the Rydefx's are so cheap with the info you stated? I understand that some may prefer the WE's but that is not the point of my comparison.

#10 ·
the thing is the sites you are looking at are not the ryde fx that come on the sled. ryde fx make a ton of shocks and a ton replacement shocks which you were looking at. the 8200 8400 8600 and 9200 series shocks are all replacment shocks. the one that come on it are more like the 8200 accuatly i think they are ill ask my friend tim he is a polaris parts manager. the 8200 is a none rebuildable none adjustable shock. the one rear rear shock is better then the other 3 and is adjustable but not rebuildable. they basically are the nitrex shocks and indy select shocks that polaris used to use just made by ryde fx. i know what i am talking about when is comes to shocks, i rebuild them, mostly fox, ryde fx and WE so this is right up my ally. if you dont need the WE shocks you dont have to buy the dragon but if you are taking huge hits then the WE are a much better bet. for me the big bump shocks are worth the money and compared to buying floats aftermarket the deal with the WE air (which i think are a better shock personally just see how the two both work) is really good. floats are 700+ bucks a pair of ski shocks and even more for track shocks so the 700 buck upgrade is not really bad

#12 ·
crap i was at hit house today to and i totally forgot, ill talk to him later this weeks. im 99 percent sure they are a 8200 series shocks and the rear rear is a just an adjustable version of it. look here and tell me if the 8200 looks the same as what is some the poo suspensions.
http://www.mcbperformance.com/skis_trk.html#other

#13 ·
TSS,

Thanks for the reply. I looked at that link and obviously I do not know what series is going to be on the 08 and I do not have an 07-back RMK in person to look at as mine is a dragon, but on the specs for the RMK the rear track shock appears to be an AFX meaning as I understand it to be adjustable so I infer from that and your link that at least part of the shock set is not an 8200 but an 8400-up. Whether that means any of the remaining shocks are 8200's or 8400's-up I do not know. Any late model RMK owners got the info.? Chime in.

#14 ·
the a stand for adjustable but these are all aftermarket shocks, this difference mainly better the 8200 and the 8400 and it is that the 8200 is a steel body and the 8400 and up is an alum body. the ones on the RMK's are steel body shocks. They just are not that expensive of shocks none the less, they just dont have the stuff to be expensive ones. they are not rebuildable, not adjustable exept the rear rear, and the are steel body. you can get a pair of rebuildable fox shocks for less them 150 bucks so this will really tell you. WE shocks really are just that much more expensive. the airs are about 350 a piece to get them new. i think the upgrade is worth it mysled

#15 ·
And understand I am not contending that the WE's are not functionally worth whatever Diff. there is from whatever model of rydefx is used. I personally have not ridden both to offer an opinion. I am just trying to see the relative value of the Dragon 700 155 in light of the engine/track upgrades to the RMK and the price differential as it might be a better alternative for those who do not need/want the WE's for their type of riding and $700 may be better spent elsewhere. Since you rebuild these things and I am seeing a lot of posts regarding WE's discharging or failing what can I specifically observe to see if failure has occurred without removing them and/or seeing the obvious?

#16 ·
well i talked to Tim last night any they are only about 95 bucks a piece new and 120 for the rear rear shock. so this is about what i was saying. if you dont need them id just say dot get them. if your not taking bigger jumps ore drops you wont need them and instead get a SLP sinlge pipe or some clutching mods. as for your WE shocks, the WE air shocks are not the one with the leaking problems, its the prox (XR, X2, and 03 race chassis), the IQ needle and dragon 121 needle shocks. the air shocks are totally different. WE shocks are getting to become longer lastng as time goes one. the needles on the 07 dragon last twice as long as the ones on my 03 race chassis. is say though it would not hurt to get them rebuild every year, it just is good for your shocks. you should forsure this year, the first rebuild is the most important. all the new stuff need to get broke in and just like oil in new engine the first oil change in a shocks in the more inportant, get rid of all the wear from stuff being new. id find a good rebuilder, not a dealer, to do them. if you have to, ship them to deycore, he is a WE shocks gouru. i do all my own WE rebuild but idont know how to do the air shocks or have the tools. if anyone need WE shocks done, you can ship them to me and ill do them for a lot less then anywhere else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.