Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the last 3 days, I've reviewed all 4 manufacturers 08 sleds that I was interested in to replace my 800. Wed night I went to the Cat show in Lansing. I really like the F8 SnoPro in black and white. Was not a fan of the night fire. Too much black for me. I thought I would like it, but even the suspension, tunnel, wheels, everything was blacked out. Just not me. I have yet to ride a F, but that's probably good since I have not ridden any of the others either. So the Cat has hands down the most adjustability. It really feels good to sit, and stand. I have to say though that some of the stuff on the cat seems a tad cheap. But most all the others do too.

Last night we went to the Rock Financial show to review the other three.
I'll start with Polaris. Well, I don't have much good to say. It all started when a guy wanted to pull the side off the IQ and the Rep got all mad and grabbed it back and put it back on. Said it's only a 440 in there, it's just to show you what it looks like. Polaris is way behind the game. I also did not like the 700 dragon for the fact that the chaincase is literally in your right side foot well. No thanks. I've seen a few grenade.
So off to Skidoo

Now I've never been a huge fan of skidoo. I'll admit right off the bat.
I'm going to say the MXZ did not fit me. I just did not feel comfortable. Bars seemed a little low.
I kinda like the looks, but again, they seem to be getting cheap. I used to like how ski doo had some nifty storage options. Those seem to be gone. As with most it's all in the aftermarket.

Now Yamaha I think has about the best overall fit and finish. Hands down the leader in 4 strokes. The feel of the FX Nytro RTX was nice. Good sitting, and standing. It would be nice if they too had a diamond drive system to give them some more room. Zero storage, but Cat's are almost zero too. It would defintely need a taller windshield.

Well, that's my soso review.
As to which one I'll be buying. Not sure. It's split between cat and Yamaha right now.

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
What always amazes me is sledders (myself included) spend large coin on sleds that we choose by looks and feel!! Imagine walking into a car dealership, rubbing the fenders, sitting in the drivers seat and passing over 10 grand!

Truly is :dazed: an insane sales process

·
Registered
657 Posts
What always amazes me is sledders (myself included) spend large coin on sleds that we choose by looks and feel!! Imagine walking into a car dealership, rubbing the fenders, sitting in the drivers seat and passing over 10 grand!

Truly is :dazed: an insane sales process[/b]
To be honest, what will KEEP me happy besides the dealer I'm dealing with (if they know what they're doing, the vehicle will be reliable) the #1 thing is feel and looks. Especially in cars. I do not like any modern car that looks like any other modern car. I do not like the Civic, for example, because they look like a general car. The new Civic resembles a cross-breed of Civic vs Intreped, but still blends in with the crowd. Not to say it's a bad car at all, I've yet to see anyone have serious problems with the civic, but why am I not wanting to own one? Because it looks basic, that's why. And that's the only reason why I don't already own one; there are too many of them out there. So I will not buy one.

I like Jeep, but they're falling into that category as well. Is there really a need to invent 5 lineups of new Jeeps 2 years in a row? I just pulled those numbers out of my head, but that's what it feels like.

Back to snowmobiles, the one you feel most comfortable on IS the one you should buy. Why? Because if you're going to spend $$$$$ on it, you're going to want to feel happy and comfortable when you ride it. If it feels like you're butt is going to cramp up every time you take it out (as a funny yet unusual example) you're not going to be happy owning it. With all new technology being shoved out the door as fast as possible, they're all running par in terms of reliability; let's face it, they're all test machines.

So if you're not just going by your local dealership to see which one will serve you best, the #1 thing to look for is the sled you'd be most willing to spend the most time on; how else are you going to get your money's worth??? Same thing for motorcycles, I ride what's more comfortable, even if I have to save up an extra year or two to get it. It's worth it in the end to own something I'm going to want to keep for a very long time :)

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
You missed my point. Of course it has to look good and be comfortable, that goes without saying. But to pass over a large quanity of hard earned money on a new, unproven sled that you cannot test drive is truly insane.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I totally agree with both of you. IT's nuts to hand over big amounts of cash for somethiing that you don't even get to test drive. This is really tought for me this go around, because I haven't been able to test ride any of them. When I bought my 800 I got to ride my brother in laws 01 800 first and loved it. Now, I really trust my dealer, and his input. Granted he doesn't sell yamaha, he has had many people switch to them, and are now back to cat. So with that said. I'm still bleeding green. But, I still have some decideing to do.
Anyone want to sway me one way or the other?

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
I totally agree with both of you. IT's nuts to hand over big amounts of cash for somethiing that you don't even get to test drive. This is really tought for me this go around, because I haven't been able to test ride any of them. When I bought my 800 I got to ride my brother in laws 01 800 first and loved it. Now, I really trust my dealer, and his input. Granted he doesn't sell yamaha, he has had many people switch to them, and are now back to cat. So with that said. I'm still bleeding green. But, I still have some decideing to do.
Anyone want to sway me one way or the other?[/b]
I tell ya what Rob, Go get that yamaha, and I will be happy to test it out for you in Strongs next season and let you know if you should have bought that ski-doo....lmao[attachment=35295:tongue.gif]

Snow4

Attachments

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<its all about brand loyalty! >>>

The realization hit that I needed a new sled towards the end of the season when both my primary and back up sleds went down. Both are right up there in miles. So I decided it was time to look for a sled, and it didn't take long to figure that the new sled was going to be a 4 stroke. Brand loyalty, my last 20 plus years on Polaris performance sleds, was right out the window.

Pouring over the forums trying to get unbiased information was a big pain. Had to smile when I found out I wasn't alone. There were quite a few guys looking for that same info..... I wish them all the best!

Anyway, ended up with an exellent deal on an 07 Apex RTX - after all those years on Polaris. My last Yamaha was a GP 433....

'Cmon snow.......... :D

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tell ya what Rob, Go get that yamaha, and I will be happy to test it out for you in Strongs next season and let you know if you should have bought that ski-doo....lmao[attachment=35295:tongue.gif]

Snow4[/b]

Hahahaha
I've been getting so much flak from my buddies about which sled I'm going to choose and stuff. I really don't know what to do. I really do want a 4 stroke.
And yamaha is where it's at for 4 strokes. I just haven't heard anyone that's happy with the suspension, unless they don't really ride rough trails.
Maybe the nytro will be it.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Get a Jag leftover

not much negative about them on the net unlike the 800 and 1000 Fseries and Xfires

I am going 4stroke next year but used

either ST660 or Vector/RX1

·
oldslowsledder
6,491 Posts
Get a Jag leftover[/b]
Only thing I have heard is they don't deliver the fuel economy you would expect from a 4 stroke, 16mpg cdn is what I'm reading.

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
Hahahaha
I've been getting so much flak from my buddies about which sled I'm going to choose and stuff. I really don't know what to do. I really do want a 4 stroke.
And yamaha is where it's at for 4 strokes. I just haven't heard anyone that's happy with the suspension, unless they don't really ride rough trails.
Maybe the nytro will be it.[/b]
I think the Nytro is a great sled ! I tell you what, If I were ever thinking of jumping ship from ski-doo, it would be to yamaha.. They have some nice 4-strokes and a great line of sleds. :thumbsup:

Snow4

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hard to make a change when you have been happy with a brand for some time. Its a big decision to make like others said with no "test drive". If I was buying a 4stroker I would be giving the yammies a hard look, but Cats new offerings look good also! albiet with a little less power in the 4 stroke department. One thing for certain is your coming off a very fast and great handling sled, and even with all this new tech on these new machines you'll be hard pressed to find a better sled than what you have now!
Oh by the way are you selling your ZR now? my buddy might be in the market for one.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<<I just haven't heard anyone that's happy with the suspension, unless they don't really ride rough trails.
Maybe the nytro will be it.>>>>

I ride rough trails. Most of the comments I saw regarding Yamaha owners not happy with bump performance were talking MonoShock or the older suspensions. The 07 Apex RTX model I bought is supposed to be set for play in the bumps, comes with the same (or very similar) suspension as the Nytro..... It's also pretty similar to the Edge suspension I'm so familiar with, so thinking I'll have a good shot at getting it working to my satisfaction. If that's the direction your heading in, it might be worth checking out.

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
i like the yamahas,in fact i used to own one but i find them a little pricey so that's why i switched to ski-doo.plus i like to puddle jump and the yammis don't like water............ :p

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Anyone want to sway me one way or the other?[/b]
Rob, it would be a tough decision for sure for '08. Except for the Attak when it came out, there hasn't been a new sled in several years that has sparked my interest. But I can honestly say Poo, Doo, and still Yami have sleds I would like to check out. Yes, I left green out of the picks, because the Jag needs about 30 more hp and a 136" track to get me excited, otherwise it's what I'm looking for. If they could drop the Z1 motor in the Xfire and up the HP, I'd be calling my dealer tomorrow. From Poo I'd examine the 136" version of the Dragon....they've done an awesome job with that 700. Doo has my interest with the 800R (really love those new gauges), but of course it has to prove itself yet. I still like the Attak, aka the LTX, and it would be my pick today if I was to go buy a new sled. However, I never by the first year of a model, so I'll sit back for at least another year and see how the sleds, uh crumbs crumble.

Cory, I don't think I fall in that category, yet. I feel like I do a LOT of research on a sled before I buy it, usually years worth. True, I don't always get to test ride one, but I read a lot of owners' comments, then go to the dealer and sit on them (and make vroooom sounds) to see how they feel. So far, I haven't spent more than $7000 for a sled, unless you count all the extras afterwards :)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rob, it would be a tough decision for sure for '08. Except for the Attak when it came out, there hasn't been a new sled in several years that has sparked my interest. But I can honestly say Poo, Doo, and still Yami have sleds I would like to check out. Yes, I left green out of the picks, because the Jag needs about 30 more hp and a 136" track to get me excited, otherwise it's what I'm looking for. If they could drop the Z1 motor in the Xfire and up the HP, I'd be calling my dealer tomorrow. From Poo I'd examine the 136" version of the Dragon....they've done an awesome job with that 700. Doo has my interest with the 800R (really love those new gauges), but of course it has to prove itself yet. I still like the Attak, aka the LTX, and it would be my pick today if I was to go buy a new sled. However, I never by the first year of a model, so I'll sit back for at least another year and see how the sleds, uh crumbs crumble.[/b]
Yeah, tough tough tough. I have to get a new one. I think I've owned this sled longer than I've owned any of my cars/trucks.
The first year thing is somewhat a worry, but not really. Suspension is really the only part of that sled that is first year.
Cat's are second year.
How many hp does the Jag have again?

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<<<<I just haven't heard anyone that's happy with the suspension, unless they don't really ride rough trails.
Maybe the nytro will be it.>>>>

I ride rough trails. Most of the comments I saw regarding Yamaha owners not happy with bump performance were talking MonoShock or the older suspensions. The 07 Apex RTX model I bought is supposed to be set for play in the bumps, comes with the same (or very similar) suspension as the Nytro..... It's also pretty similar to the Edge suspension I'm so familiar with, so thinking I'll have a good shot at getting it working to my satisfaction. If that's the direction your heading in, it might be worth checking out.[/b]

I hear what your saying. I really do think they made a step in the right direction finally. My buddies 03 RX 1 has a M10 in it. I did hear a guy say that had a 03 and his Dad bought a 07 say that it was night and day.
This dual shock is so close to skidoo, and cat suspension. So it should finally be there. Just don't know about the rear limiter strap thing. Then they are a little shy on wheels too.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i like the yamahas,in fact i used to own one but i find them a little pricey so that's why i switched to ski-doo.plus i like to puddle jump and the yammis don't like water............ :p[/b]

Just got a price of 9010 on a F8 snopro OTD, and 9625 OTD on the Nytro RTX with Reverse. I would think you could even that up in the first year with oil and gas savings.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Just got a price of 9010 on a F8 snopro OTD, and 9625 OTD on the Nytro RTX with Reverse. I would think you could even that up in the first year with oil and gas savings.[/b]

I like the Nitro RTX, thats a decent price for it OTD, one complaint I have heard is the exhaust leaving out the back is some what loud for some( to the rider not spectators), I guess with the quite engine your ear turns to exhaust sound, kinda funny hearing noise complaints on a 4stroke.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts