Snowmobile World banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
IM LOOKING AT GETTING A NEW TRACK. IM THINKING OF A PREDETOR 1 1/4  6799818 OR THE CHALLENGER 1 1/2  6799803 HAVE U TRIED THEM AND WHAT DO U LIKE  AND WHY?        IM RUNNING A 2000 MACHZR LET ME KNOW WHAT U TRIED .

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Hey machz69 i ran a predator #9818 for over 12000kliks of abusive riding. it held up excellent. Now i have a renegade 800 and after coming back from a week in the cochrane timmins area i am definetly considering getting the challenger 1.5" If you are into off trail powder exploration go for the 1.5 . You'll get stuck even less and have more acceleration and better braking than even the 1.25"

·
Registered
361 Posts
Hey machz69, I just installed my 1 1/4" predator 9818 last week and my acceleration has greatly improved and my top end is still good (track only weighs 36lbs.), as compared to my 1" predator that had 144 trail studs and weighed 46lbs. Just yesterday, I was riding with some buddies and one had a 2001 SRX, that he bought this year (all stock and 1100km), and from a 40mph roll-on, we stayed side by side right up to 90mph, only then did he creep away very slowly, I tapped out at 100mph (25/44 gearing). I was impressed with my speed with that track. Do you want to buy a challenger 1", I only used it two weeks (120miles). I think you'll be happier with the 1 1/4" 9818, as I know you still like top end.
Just my opinion!

·
Registered
71 Posts
What type of sled do you have Limskii?  I am getting ready to install the same track in my 2001 MXZ800.  I am debating on wether I should put 96 or 144 studs down the center and wether I should switch my gearing from 27/43 to 25/44.  Any opinions?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Blaise,

Drop the gearing and reclutch!!  You will know why when you do.  25/44 is still good for 108mph with all the deductions added in.  Also only use 96 studs on the 1.25", reasons for that but don't want to explain

GLH

·
Registered
71 Posts
The reason I would say to only use (96) 1.325" studs in a 1.25" track is because anything more then 96 will be to much weight which will rob horsepower and top speed.  However, Doug at Woody's reccomends 144 because he said with the MXZ800 if you only used 96, to much force would be placed on each stud and they will have the tendancy to rip out much easier as compared to 144  - if you are an agressive trail rider.  This is why I am having a hard time deciding.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Whats it gonna be Machz69? Did you decide yet?

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Are you going to the sled show? Im sure there will be some deals on a 9818 there.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
We are going oct 25, but it is on the sat and sun too. Usually some good deals to be had and all the vendors are there. At least no tax if not better

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
every year that i have been there royal offers 15% off and free shipping on the products,but if its at the show you have to take it with you

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i might just be there on the friday ...i have to work on the saturday. NOW FOR THE NEXT QUESTION... has anyone ran the 1 1/4 preditor and ran studs on a machz or what ever realy and how much speed was lost or how durable or just stay with no studs :sly: :D

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
machz69,i guess that would depend on what you want to do,if your not going to run lots of ice then you wont need the studs,a 1.25 works great for us northern folk :D

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I just asked the question about 1.5" vs 1.250" tracks i the powder/mountain forum.
Caleb

·
journeyman sled/motorhead
4,440 Posts
I talked with a guy from camoplast for about an hour friday.he told me that a 1 inch track would hook as well as the 1.25 in most instances.he said I could run studs with the 1 inch and not really worry about them being to long and bending,which he said is the biggest problem with studding the 1.25's.what he said was the 1 inch and 1.25 you will never notice the differance from the riders seat. :0:

·
Registered
310 Posts
i just bought a 9818 1.25" for 350 bucks brand new off of mcb.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
i have had a 1 and 1.25 and 1.5 inch tracks each is noticeably different,and i could notice the difference from the drivers seat,its only a 1/4 inch jump in lug size but muliply that by the amount and width of the lugs and it adds up

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
. I agree Panteraone as I have had .88", 1" and different 1.25". It is suprising how much of a difference a 1/4 inch can make. Also as the lug gets bigger so doo the chunks that come out the rear end, i cant wait to run the 1.75" this year :D

Knowing the way you ride, Mr wheelie ;) I would go with a 1" with the studs as you will have less rotating mass than with a studded 1.25" . My 97 mach1 came with a oem 1" track. It was great , no speed penalty. It did not hold up though and was replaced under warranty.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts