Snowmobile World banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must admit that I have been slacking on this site a little bit. But I am once again here for an answer from the experts on the site. I am buying an 2001 Polaris Indy XC SP and putting a 144" track on it. I know that it might not be necessary living in Vermont, but I love the mountain sleds and want to make this into a cross over sled. The question is based on lug size. As most know there are two options for the 144, the 1.25" lug and the 2" lug. I am leaning towards the 2" lug but I am affraid of breaking lugs off when riding across roads or on less than 12 inches of snow. Will this happen? I really dont want to invest in a nice 2" track and then have lugs break, so should I go with the 1.25"? Does the 1.25" give good flotation in 2 feet of snow? I am not sure, like I said I would go with the 2" lugs, but I am affraid that they will just break off riding across too many roads or on light cover. What should I do? Thanks for your time. Vermont finally has a good amount of snow!

Ben

·
Registered
435 Posts
You will tear lugs on the 2'' at any good speed on hard pack they are made for deep snow all the time.You will find the 1.25 does just fine in deep snow if you keep your track speed up, the 2'' is just more forgiving in deep snow. If it was my choice in "Vermont" I would go with the 1.25''.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DocRMK, appreciate the advice, especially from someone who knows there mountain sleds. Someday I will own a nice RMK like yours. But thanks again for the advice, I will go with the 1.25" lugs. Loving the snow in VT.

Ben

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
If you could get a 1.5 144 I had good luck with mine as a trail and powder track. Like doc said though with the 2inch track i'm running now and my friends have were using extra wheels and ice scratchers to save hifax and watchign our driving to save lugs.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
I would definetely not get the 2" lugs, you will have a headache with that. I have a friend that runs a summit with a 1 1/2" lugs in the UP of michigan, similiar conditions to what you are talking about, and he has not had any problems with it. He bought the sled cheap in Wyoming.

The 1 1/4 though should d oyou fine.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I also agree on the 1.25" paddle, although I have never seen a 2" lug break, the shorter paddle will be more stable out on the hard packed trails. You can go a lot of places with a 144"/1.25" sled, especially if the snow is really frozen.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Late post but the 2" is good for crossing rivers to get to those summer riding locations. 1.25" should be fine. When the snow is hard I wish I had a 1.25" track. Of course I do love the 2" when the snow is soft.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Ran on hard pack, dirt roads, across rock filled streams and hills with my 05 Summit 600 144x2, pretty much beat the chit out of the track and looks the same as the day i got it. Now had a modded f-7 with the attack 20 ride same conditions and there is 2 lugs missing after the season. So it depends on the track you get too.

·
Registered
339 Posts
As a fellow Vermonter, I am going to have to suggest the 1.25". I don't think you will be disappointed. The 2" would not be a good choice for the icy corners we often get friday through sunday. With the 1.25" you will still be able to dive off in some fields and have some fun!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run the standard 2" track on my Summit and I never have a problem with melting hyfax or breaking paddles and I run a lot of roads and low snow conditions. There is a HUGE difference between a 2" and 1.25" when it comes to the soft snow. I can run circles around the guys with shorter lugs. If you are sticking to 'groomed' areas, get the 1.25", but if you want to go off the trail in the powder, you will be satisfied with anything less than 2".

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Having ridden most of my life in NFLD, where there is alot more snow, powder, and ungroomed trails then in Vermont, I would suggest (strongly) the 1.25" track. The 2" will definitely burn up hyfax, and is over kill 95% of the time.
Get a 144X1.25", through a few studs in there, and you've got the best of both worlds.

Of course I realize that you've probably bought you track months ago, but I post this in case anybody else has the same question.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I run a 1.5 x 136 with 1-3/4" SS carbide studs, the best of both worlds in the mountains in NY. No problems in 3 seasons excvept a couple of slightly bent studs, just loosen em' up and turned em' around.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts