Snowmobile World banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well to sum it up, I used 11.4 gallons of fuel today, and I just checked the manual, my tank capacity is 11.8 gallons. So much trail breaking that at some point I just had to let my wife take over. It was not quite as deep as last time so I was able to mostly keep the snow out of the helmet cam, right now the problem is there is so much decent footage I have to sort it out. I'll post youtube links at a later time. Here are the stills. Our base was about 30 inches in these shots and it has snowed another foot tonight since we went home. We were on the trails by 8am and the clouds did not come in until about 1:30. I was out of gas by 2:00, so that worked out. And I think you can see why even though we are on trails most of the time, it's still mountain riding.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,075 Posts
As Always your pics are Outstanding ! btw, you should make pic #5 your Christmas card...lol

Looking forward to seeing your Vid on YouTube. :thumbsup:

Ride on you two !

Snow4

·
Premium Member
536 Posts
As Always your pics are Outstanding ! btw, you should make pic #5 your Christmas card...lol

Snow4[/b]
For a Christmas card you really need to have both of you in the picture - I volunteer to hold the camera! :D (I wish!)

Great pics! I just hope that we have decent snow a month from now...

dave

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
Great pics, keep em coming :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Wait a minute, Beaxch is riding power, and I'm raking leaves this week. What the hey! Maybe I'll post a picture of my leaf pile, yeah that's the ticket. Hmmmm........... I could trailer from Indiana to Oregon...............can't be that far............right? :crazy:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Great pics, looks like you had a great time. What kind of helmet cam do you use??[/b]
I bought it here at newegg.com which is easily the best online store for electronics and computer parts:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16882170109

I hate to recommend the camera because it sucks, but it was cheap, $85 plus shipping. If you want good results buy something better. You need to also buy a couple 2 gig memory cards to go with it. It's basically a toy but it is fully waterproof (submersible) and will give you 640x480 at 30fps. I run it at full resolution but 15fps to get more recording time. However the image quality is very bad no matter what. The worst thing is not the low quality image sensor, it is the fact the the angle of the lens isn't wide enough. It's one thing to make it fool-proof and cheap by having a fixed lens, but you just can't see a wide enough field of view. This is a judgement call obviously, but I think my helmet cam video makes it obvious. And of course there is no viewfinder so you really have to do a good job mounting it and do some trial and error. It's really hard to get the sled in the shot unless I'm looking straight down, and then you can't see anything else. Some of the shots still turn out okay. I admit I'm glad I have it.

Anyway, I have two days of videos post now, and I'm just not ready. There is too much footage to work with and I have to narrow it down, and have been riding too much. I'll start a new thread when I get them up, probably Monday.

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Looking forward to seeing your Vid on YouTube. :thumbsup:

Ride on you two !

Snow4[/b]
Let me just say about #5, I wish you could see how far down it is if I went off the side of that trail. There is a definite fear factor breaking trail in that particular area, and at times it gets scary narrow. It's not a sheer cliff there but it is about 1000 vertical feet down. In fact, we won't be riding that area again until at least April because those exposed narrow roads just totally fill in sideways and there is no passing. This is our spot for the first few snowfalls and then late spring. I do love that pic though, it says it all.

Oh, I'm still working on the videos...probably Monday.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks for the review of the camera, I want to try and get some video and did not want to spend a ton of money on my first try. Looking forward to seeing your video.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts