Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my issue,
I have a 95 Arctic Cat Cougar without electric start. I would like to add a 12V DC Powersource (outlet) so I can run my GPS on extended trips without carying a ton of batteries. I know the sled is 12V AC.

Dose anyone know of a converter offered that can do this. I think I can build one, but I am not realy positive on my electronic skills... :dazed:

If someone has insite please drop me a line.

Thanks
Paul
SWRules

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
I'll give ya the hot tip :wink:
Polaris makes two different cigarette receptacles with built in rectifiers, we are putting this style on Sledheaddudes sled.
Stock #s

I could find any dealers who stocked these so they have to be ordered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
A simple bridge rectifier will work - just go to the local radio shack or electronics store - they usually carry a bunch of rectifiers in various current capacities. Personally I'd back that up with a capacitor or even a set of NiCad batteries to even things out a little bit if you're running anything that might be sensative to voltage variations.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
I am saving a ton of money and doing this. It is a little older and 2 part #'s arent right but it is simple. I might even sell them if Poo is charging that w00t

CLICK

·
Registered
33 Posts
All you've got to do is buy the regulator from the electric start version of the sled you have or at least an electric start model with the same engine (and hence the same stator output). This regulator will have a 12 volt DC output. Then connect the smallest, sealed, 12 volt lead-acid battery you can find between the 12 volt output and ground. Hook up a cigarette lighter plug, a 10 amp fuse on the hot side and you are done.

The battery is required to stabilize the voltage, not to provide power.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
All you've got to do is buy the regulator from the electric start version of the sled you have or at least an electric start model with the same engine (and hence the same stator output). This regulator will have a 12 volt DC output. Then connect the smallest, sealed, 12 volt lead-acid battery you can find between the 12 volt output and ground. Hook up a cigarette lighter plug, a 10 amp fuse on the hot side and you are done.

The battery is required to stabilize the voltage, not to provide power.[/b]
intriguing.. what do you estimate the dollar amount on that to me.... ballpark

·
Registered
580 Posts
So the battery in line is being used as a capacitor to even out voltage AND your GPS won't shut off when you turn off th engine? Nice!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts