Snowmobile World banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haver decided to stud. Woody's recomends 144 for a 700. Does this mean I can get away with 120 up the middle using a 144 pattern. Or should I put 144 in the middle. I have a .880 track(stock) and only want studs up the middle. Has anybody used King Kaber studs? I'm thinking of them because I can get a good deal on them.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
We put 144, 1" studboy studs in Ladyk's 02 mxz700 last year . We put them in the middle in a long V pattern with none on the outside. She was able to push corners no problem, over 5000kms with no ripping or bending at all. BTW she was faster top end then ANY of our 02 800's :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have an 2002 MXZ 700 Adreneline with a 1" track (however, ski-doo's 1" track is not really 1", it is more like .92). I chose to run 120 right down the middle of the track. I used Roetin's new Hornet studs, with a length of 1.080. It has plenty of traction, and I even grass dragged the sled for the entire NSRA season. It will lift the skis with no track spin at all. These Hornets are the by far the best studs I have ever used, but they are one of the most expensive. I have tried Woody's Golddiggers, FastTrac Top Gun II, Xcaliber, and Saber, and Roetin. The only studs I would buy are either Roetin or Woody's. I have never bent or broken a roetin. I have bent quite a few woody's, but never broken one. FastTrac's are over priced pieces of ____! I have broken them numerous times and fast trac wouldn't do a thing about it, plus they loose their tips easily. Xcaliburs are crap. Stay away from the cheap studs...you get what you pay for. Take a look at the new Roetin Hornets, but be careful about knock-offs. I was at the snowshow a few weeks ago and saw some guy selling cheap imitations that were not in a roetin box...

·
Registered
211 Posts
Oh, sorry... I used a traditional 96 pattern and added an extra stud on every other pitch, alternating sides and randomized the placement. It has a good "scratch" pattern. I used Fast Trac's round plastic backers which actually work really well.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Originally posted by charlo@Oct 8 2002, 02:31 PM
I have decided to stud. 144 in the middle.  And only want studs up the middle.
Go with 132. use the traditional 96 pattern in the middle and place 32 studs in the closed windows of the track. This will work with any doo that is yr 2000 and up. :thumbsup: :)

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys I guess I have some decisions to make. What seems to be a common thread is you get what you pay for. The "good deal" will probably end up costing me in the end. :nervous: I get most of my stuff from Royal Distributers in Canada. I think their prices are pretty good. Anybody know of any better deals. I know that there will be some good deals at the show in Toronto but it's a 14 hour drive from here. :doh:

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have a 02mxz700 and i put 120 up the middle and have no problems. Good traction for my style of riding. Good luck with your choice.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I would use Woodys gold diggers or mega bite with 144 up the center.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Don't forget to add adequate tunnel protection.

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Maybe a phone call to Woodys is in order. I'll bet the suggest 144 down the center. Nice folks on the phone always willing to help. Rick.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
So can somebody SHOW some patterns they have used with 144?

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
i think that 144 might be a little much. i ran 144 on my machz with no probs at all. on a 700 i would use 120. try to put as little as possible and still gain traction. what is the rule of thumb 1mph for every pound of studs... :0: :sly:

·
Registered
664 Posts
I was at a snow show this weekend and was asking the same Ques. about studding my 700, everyone I asked(woody's,roetin,saber,cheap imitations, dealers) all said run 144.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Charlo, Yes patterns were suggested to me, I kept asking if 96 would be alright and everyone said NO. The one guy I bought from at Shadetree explained it best when he said you may have 96 studs in your track but only 30 or so are on the ground at any one time. The less studs the more pressure on each one. 144 then you have at least 45 or so on the ground and less pressure on each stud. There is such a thing as overstudding though too, But I won't get into that. Go to wiem.com they'll have patterns on their site(WOODY's) Look at all of them and decide which is best for you. I'm going with the Double Digger pattern(144).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts