Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of converting my 01 ZR 600 EFI 121" into a 136" track.  Here's the question, Can I just buy new rails, say off of a Mt Cat or a Touring sled and swap my suspension components???  Anybody do this???  I want to use the 136" rails that came with the 01 MT CAT 600, because they are listed as being painted green.  Any real differences???  Any reason not to do this??? I believe the part number is 0704-536.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
ZREFI I like the tach in your avatar.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I'm doin the same thing to my pro-x. I'm just going to order a pair off of a rmk. Cost less than the kit , and I would think stronger to. I hope your converson works out to good luck

·
Registered
555 Posts
Just Do it, it is real easy, the Long Track Conversion Kit from Arctic Cat comes with all of the instructions and everything you need. If you buy the correct kit, it will only take about a day. I did it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
If you are going to long track your 121 and you are not going to buy the kit,the rails off of a MC will not work. The rear suspention is mounted closer to the front on a ZR. If you want to just buy the pieces and do it yourself get your dealer to phone Cat and get a break down of the kit because the rails will have a different part number. Dont spend money on the heat excangers because the shorter ones work fine. all you need to do is make a guard to protect the hose that goes between the exchangers at the back. most of the kit is not needed the only other thing that you need is an axle for support at the back idler wheels and a tunnel extention that you can get from an aftermarket place.....If you need any help let me know because I just finished 136ing my ZR

·
Registered
4,316 Posts
I would use the rails off a longtrack sled...that way you get a solid rail...I don't trust those extension kits...one tail landing...and CRACK....

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
the kit if you but it before april 15 is a little cheaper .  have been looking at doing the same thing to my 01 zr 600.  but i think i am going with a fire cat next year with the 1.375 inch.  i have seen people put sno pro track on the zrs this really makes them go through the snow well.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Sled-Head, I'm gonna do just as you say, I already have someone getting the part numbers for me.  One quick question though, is that an extention on the tunnel of your 900 or is it a new tunnel???  That thing looks sweet!!!

I also want to use new rails instead of an extended rails, gonna put a 1.25" Camo Predator snocross track on it.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
533 Posts
ZREFI,

Be sure to post those part numbers.  I am also considering extending my 01 to 136"

newf

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Its just a tunnel extention....I cant remember where I ordered it from and my wife cleaned house(threw all my stuff away) If you are interested I will track it thru UPS and get you the info.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No need to dig to find where you got it from.  Thanks though.  The thing looks stock, man what a smooth transition.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts