Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at wiring up a 12v cigarette lighter outlet on my 98 zrt, I bought the outlet already and am just double checking to see if my information is correct. If i tap into say the highbeam of my sled for power, it should provide the 12v needed to run a phone charger or somthing of the same power consumtion. I was told by the dealer that i did not need to do anything with the voltage and that it would supply enough juice for a phone or gps. Has anyone installed on on their sled? and pictures would help too. thanks

·
Registered
3,413 Posts
If you don't have a battery I would say that you need to install a rectifier. With out it the voltage will spike up and down the same as your headlights do when the sled idles. The outlet make work fine while the sled is reving but your accesories will shut of if the voltage drops.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just to be sure everyone knows their regulators from the rectifiers, here is the scoop.

Regulators; Almost all modern sleds produce AC voltage from the lighting coils for elcetrical use in the sled. Light bulbs ( not LEDs), handwarmers, gauges, coils all work just fine with AC voltage, but need a voltage regulator to keep from blowing stuff up. Again most sleds have a very simple voltage regulator that just basically chops off high voltage a some point, usually 14-15 volts, and sends it to ground. It does not regulate low voltage, hence the light dimming as mentioned above.

Rectifier; A rectifier is needed to convert AC voltage to DC voltage. Why do that, well if you have an electric start, DC voltage is needed to charge the battery. A rectifier does not regulate voltage, just AC to DC, but to confuse things there are combination regulator/rectifier modules out there, as most street bikes have them. Soo, all electric start sleds have DC voltage, and you would be OK to hook up a cigarette lighter socket to an electric start sled and would be good to go. No electric start on the ZRT, then as said above you will need some kind of recitfier module to convert the AC to DC, because 12v DC is what your GPS adapter needs.

Hope that is as clear as mud. Yeah, I know a lot of new sleds have electronic ignition comtrols, without electric start. How? These modules have their own voltage power supply components on board, and are hard to tap in to, and usually do not have enough excess capacity to run external devices.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts