Snowmobile World banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, realativly new sledder here. I've been riding my 01 Zl with a 121 x 15" track for the past 3 winters and I am looking at getting a used 05-06 F7 , All the firecats I see have a 13.5" track. My question is what are the benefits of this track and what are the drawbacks? I am about 6' and 250 so will the smaller track make my sled a little more tipsy? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
496 Posts
13.5 x 128 . To make it look cool or may be its a slimming effect to make you look thinner. I thought they did it for handling but to tell you the truth the zr handled better IMO.

Nice upgrade from a ZL in power.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
if your going to do this you need to buy rail and tunnel extensions but a larger lug 121 track still have more flowtation then a 128 by 13.5

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if your going to do this you need to buy rail and tunnel extensions but a larger lug 121 track still have more flowtation then a 128 by 13.5[/b]
I'm not changing tracks on my ZL I am Buying a new sled altogether.

I'm looking for opinons on how the two sleds differ as far as handeling on rough trails and in some light powder.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'm not changing tracks on my ZL I am Buying a new sled altogether.

I'm looking for opinons on how the two sleds differ as far as handeling on rough trails and in some light powder.
Thanks[/b]
sorry i miss understood.

·
Registered
496 Posts
They seem to trench more in deep light snow . But you get that with a narrow track and lots of power. Id still buy it . Nice upright riding position . Light steering feel . Good jumper. They out weigh the narrow track. Plus parts are super cheap to buy!

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
The biggest advantage is the narrow tunnel. It feels small and light and is great for stand up riding.
The disadvantage is off trail. Definitely trenches more in deep snow then a 15" track. Still capable, just not as capable.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The biggest advantage is the narrow tunnel. It feels small and light and is great for stand up riding.
The disadvantage is off trail. Definitely trenches more in deep snow then a 15" track. Still capable, just not as capable.[/b]
If your a rider that leans around corners the firecats are better because with the narrow track your weight has more effect. But if your a rider that just sits flat on the seat and turns the handle bars i think they tend to be a little more tippy. There made to be riddin hard. The 13.5 inch track is also lighter compared to the 15 and it winds up faster for better performance. They do seem to be a little worse in the deep stuff like everyone else has been saying but the difference in ride, light steering, and all out performance is much worth it. I have a 2004 F6 and use to ride a 2001 ZR 600, so i'm kinda in the same boat you are. Definently go with the Firecat and hang on, i don't think you'll be disappointed.

Joe, WI

·
10,054 Posts
the sole reason cat went with the 13.5" track over the 15" track on the firecat was for weight savings,,, it is extended, but you have cut 1 1/2" off everything running through the tunnel as well as the tunnel itself. With it being 128" long, it should have the same exact footprint as the 15" /121" track. As for being tippy, there is some pretty serious inside ski lift but if you play with the suspension a little bit you can take care of quite a bit of it. At least when you get it to this point, you know when its coming, you also know how to react to it so it will not surprise you. Cat did add outside idlers in 04 which will also help some of your inside ski lift,,,,
As for simply feeling tippy, I dont feel mine does and I am a big guy myself.
The sled is a little quicker to trench if you get into the deep stuff,,, so I swapped for the sno pro track over the regular. Lugs on the standard are 1" and you go to a 1 3/8" with the sno pro which will help with the trenching,,, now when I bury it,,, its really burried.
Good luck with your decision,,, if you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts