Snowmobile World banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with the 1300 genesis/Cat motor? It is in a 1999 Tcat chassis. I will be riding mostly trails in upper michigan but of course will run the lakes too. Any info you can give would be appreciated. Should I have any concerns about the clutch with this much power? How can I beef the clutch components?

Everything is stock on the '99 Tcat with a studded track, 1300 motor, reeds, pipes, and 44 carbs. $8000.00

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I had a 1350 and ikt was fun. But it was in 96/97 when they only made 235HP in trail trim. it was in a god awful 94' tcat chassis. They set the whole sled up, clutchs,chain case, everything. I knew nothing on jetting etc so they set it up to perform overall. I never had any trouble with it and the next owner didn't either till he starting playing with it's jetting and leaned her out to far. But the fuel milage sucked on the trail. Why would you even consider this motor for the trail????????????? Dumb,dumb,dumb idea. OH , did I mention loud,way liyd, trail closing argument loud. Get that motor a set of there quiet pipes, good power and also drops weight. Have them port it also. You may want a carb bore also but it's a tuff call. And of course reeds adn reed cages. Get a Team performance Rapid reaction Secondary clutch first and formost after the motor mods. Theya re a kick butt secondary, nothing touches them!!!!! Don't use more than 192 studs!!!!! These mods should easily push you to about 200-210hp. And it'll be so much more ridable and trailable!
Caleb

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why wouldnt this motor be trailable and reliable? You said you never had problems with it until the other guy leaned it out to much. With all that torque it would seem like it would be trail friendly. I want to be able to ride trails all day and when I get to the lake it will rule. I could be wrong but I thought the price was pretty reasonable for the setup, no?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
It was great in the wide open Munising trails, and fields. I guess you just have to ride one to understand how a big bore motor like these run. And they are not inexpensive to set up. They require a all new drive trsain with extreme duty parts. They eat chains and chain cases,twist the hell out of jackshafts,and did I mention belt life?!!! The motors are bullit proof, it's the chassis that requires attention.
Caleb

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Just my 2c, but that sounds like a lot of money to me. Late model 1000 Thundercat used would be a lot less money and still have 10 times the amount of power required to have a good time on the trail, without having to worry about chassis components. You'll still be beaten with that 1300, just won't be as often. :D

AL

1 - 5 of 5 Posts