Snowmobile World banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 edge 700. Time for a track. I was thinking about going w/ Tracks USA 136 kit w/ a 1.25 ripsaw. I see they have the 144 kit for the same price. Most riding we do is in Northern WI. and the U.P. Probably about 85% is on trails. Would the longer track kill my handling? Most of our riding is pretty aggressive. What do you think? I have also always had a studded track. 144 now on my sled. Thanks in advance. Mike :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
i personally am a bigger fan of a 136 because i like to jump but most people say the 144 handle better on the trail because it has tipped rails. i also like the 136 better becasue it is less to hall around. it really depend on what you want. as for the hanlding, the 144 will corner a little better becasue if the tipped rails but the 136 with handle the big holes and jumps better.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Is the trackusa 144 kit tipped up, or are we thinking of the switchback suspension? Dunno. Either way that's a lot of track for trail. For aggressive trail riding I would hesitate to go 136" if you like a loose back end. With a 136 you'll be pretty much nailed down in the back. If that doesn't sound like it will bother you, just go for it! You'll love it. Don't change anything setup wise (clutch or susp.)until after you've ridden it. Something else, you might also want to try it without studs. You may be surprised at the traction available without them. FWIW -Al

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont think the 144 is tipped up rails.... Not that year anyhow.... The 144 isnt going to help you on the trail at all.... even if it is tipped up rails... your still going to get a lot of push in sharp corners... and your inside ski is going to want to lift as well... This can be fixed with suspension adjustements... Ie... tightening limiter straps and shock adjustments... However this is going to affect the sleds performace in deeper off trail conditions...

So I say go with the 136... Not nearly as much push however but still way more traction than a 121....

·
Registered
258 Posts
well i had a 144" and i have had 121" and i would personally want a 136" the 144 is very hard to handle but gives you a lot of track to get through the thick.....where as a 136 has the track but not so big you cant stear easy..thats my opinion. i was actually willing to trade someone even up for my 144 for a 136 when i had it the 144 was a pain in the corners it took a lot of.....well you know.....to throw it through the corners.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think for what I am looking for it seems to be the 136 is the way to go. I have always had studs in the 121 but maybe I will try the 136 / 1.25 w/ out studs at first and see how it is. Is the ripsaw a decent track? Seems like I read more good then bad about it. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
I think for what I am looking for it seems to be the 136 is the way to go. I have always had studs in the 121 but maybe I will try the 136 / 1.25 w/ out studs at first and see how it is. Is the ripsaw a decent track? Seems like I read more good then bad about it. :thumbsup:[/b]
In powder the longer track will give you more surface area which helps you float better, but the actual traction wouldn't really be improved unless you use bigger lugs. The longer track would still perform better in powder overall. I don't know enough about trail riding to talk about handling, but I adivse you to remember you're going to lose some usable horsepower and torque if you lengthen the track. If you enjoy trail performance, I would not lengthen unless you think your sled is too fast. If you put on a longer or in any way heavier track, even after you regear you will lose either acceleration or top speed (almost guaranteed to lose top speed unless your gearing is currently low), and before you regear you may lose both. It is correct to say that if you do the upgrade, do not regear or reclutch at first because it may turn out just fine or even better than before depending on the current config. The 06 Summit 144 that I rode for a day handled pretty easy (riding in spring slush), I was surprised, but that's my only experience and it was a rev so of course it handled well. My RMK 151 is unruly and I only really love it when I can go in a straight line, preferably up a steep hill. If I have to ride some crazy technical trees I still take the Vmax instead and that is a 136 with a 1.5" lug.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
me thinks timesasearching is confused

he is looking at rail extension kits NOT the 144 in the RMK/SKSs

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
me thinks timesasearching is confused

he is looking at rail extension kits NOT the 144 in the RMK/SKSs[/b]
nope me not confused the rail extension kits from tracks usa on the 144 is a tipped up extension.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the 136 from Tracks USA today. I went w/ the pre-drilled 136 1.25 ripsaw. I am going to try it first w/out the studs and if I don't like it I can install the studs. Bring on the snow!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
<<<I am going to try it first w/out the studs and if I don't like it I can install the studs.>>>

Bruce at TracksUsa was the one that talked me into trying the 136x1.25 without studs. Man, am I glad I did. I didn't miss them a bit......

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
<<<I am going to try it first w/out the studs and if I don't like it I can install the studs.>>>

Bruce at TracksUsa was the one that talked me into trying the 136x1.25 without studs. Man, am I glad I did. I didn't miss them a bit......[/b]
Can't wait to give it a try!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts