Snowmobile World banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the 16" wide tracks fit on an older '98 Summit? I have a camoplast challenger 15x144x2, I am wondering also if upgrading to a 16" wide will make a noticable difference?

·
Premium Member
709 Posts
Well, more surface area means it will float better (6.25% more surface area on the snow), but if the paddles/lugs are the same then the overall *traction* will not change. I know that might sound like a weird distinction but it's physics. What that means in terms of performance depends on the snow conditions, but more float in powder is almost always a good thing. In addition, you would be pushing 6.25% more mass (if everything else is the same) which means less total power available from your engine to the ground. Also, it should be more difficult to turn and maneuver the wider track. To what extent will it noticeably float better or maneuver worse, I have no idea. It may be worth it to you. Seems to me that at the very least you'd be slightly less likely to sink but have slightly less overall pulling power. A minor regearing (if necessary) would bring your torque back at the expense of a few MPH top speed.

The real question is is this possible? I suspect that there's no way the 16" track could fit your sled but I really don't know.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts